Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

RT @AvalancheSweden: The Hot Air Balloon was always one of our favorite easter eggs in Just Cause 2. @justcause #JustCause2 #LoveWins http:…

6 days ago

July 03, 2015, 08:12:01 am

Author Topic: For the glory of Panau  (Read 44173 times)

jaxm

• JC2-MP Developer
    • View Profile
For the glory of Panau
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:41 pm »
Hey everyone, today I’ve decided it’s time to show off a little something I’ve been working on these past few months. So, I would like to introduce to you, my take on the “Faction Wars” game mode.

Where to begin!

When I started working on this script, I was obsessed with making sure my game mode had absolutely no commands involved. Period. No needing to memorized specific commands to achieve / unlock specific elements of gameplay, I wanted everything to have some kind of unified system to easily access, modify and move on playing. With this I set out on creating my own menu system ( as at the time CEGUI was yet to be implemented. ).

From this menu a faction leader can invite and remove members, request alliances / declare war on other factions, customize their faction vehicle colour / faction player models, all with a few mouse clicks.

Faction members can easily group up with other members of their faction via the squad system, again with just a few clicks of the mouse. The squad system will display markers both on your PDA and mini-map indicating where your fellow squad mates are, along with their health status.

Once a vehicle colour has been selected, all future vehicle purchases by faction members will spawn using the colour selected.

Beyond the main menu system, there are several smaller more specific menus. Depending on the type of base you capture, you will gain access to different types of shops. These shops allow your faction to purchase military vehicles. For example, if you were to capture an airport, your faction then gains access to most military attack helicopters, jet fighters and if the runway is big enough to facilitate a Bering, then you also gain access to the mobile spawn point system, which I will explain later.

This is the spawn menu, both when you connect for the first time, and every time you die, this is the menu you will see. If you are in a faction and it controls at least one base, you will be able to spawn on it. If your faction owns a Bering and it currently being flown by a faction member around Panau, regardless of where it is, you will be able to spawn on it. Factions will be able to use this to make big plays on their enemies.

By clicking the “Change Loadout” button the menu will switch over to the loadout screen, where you can choose which class / weapon setup you wish to spawn as. The classes aren’t finalized yet, but the general points would be :

Assault : Heavily armoured, has access to most of the best weapons, relies heavily on having a Medic at his side to heal him and a Support to provide him ammo.

Medic : Heals faction members around him. Has access to Assault Rifle / Shotgun.

Sniper : Has access to the deadly sniper rifle, relies heavily on a friendly Support for ammo.

Infiltrator : This class isn’t finalized yet, the concept I’ve come up with is that this class will play a vital role in assaulting serious faction bases. I had the idea of giving this class the ability to ‘hack’ into an enemy radar tower and temporarily disable the radar for 20-30 seconds, giving his faction members time to move through an area undetected.

Support : Infinite ammo is out! Everyone needs it, everyone will love having a Support with them. Supplies ammo to nearby faction members, is the only class that has access to the Rocketlauncher for disabling enemy tanks. The downside to spawning with the Rocketlauncher is that it occupies your main weapon slot, so if you’re an anti tank Support, you will only have your sidearm pistol available if you run into enemy infantry.

I recreated the PDA to be able to display more information, or more so information exactly the way I wanted to display it, including faction control of bases, their relation to the players faction and the friendly radar sweeps.

The colour scheme I went with is pretty easy to follow, your faction bases / faction members are always represented in green, allied factions are gold, enemies are a dark red. Neutral factions are white, abandoned bases are grey( A base becomes abandoned if the faction that owns it disbands ). I would have liked to use a more traditional blue for allies, but Just Cause 2 has so many beautiful blue skies / oceans it was just too difficult to make it work.

TLDR:

Faction Wars,

370 bases to capture

Cash and Score is earned periodically based on the amount, and type of bases your faction controls.

Factions can customize the colour of their vehicles.

Factions can customize the skin of their faction members.

There’s a squad system, it’s awesome!

There’s an invitation system, it’s awesome!

There’s a class system, by the time it’s finished each class will be unique and sought after by serious Faction Wars players.

Limitless factions, limitless destruction!

There’s a lot more I’m yet to show off, I’d really like to make a video showing a lot of the interface in action. I can’t commit to saying that this script will be available for next beta, there’s many things I’d like to improve upon before unleashing it into the wild. Thanks for your time and interest. :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:04:55 pm by Woet »

Cobboolio

• View Profile
Re: For the glory of Panau
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »
Wow, this looks incredible!
Thanks for showing us this, one more thing to look forward to :)

mikeoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »
Sounds promisingly awesome, can't wait! ;D

MetroHD

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »
Oh my god! That looks amazing!  :D

Nixolas1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:26:42 pm »
Very good job.

mandella644

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »
There will still be plenty of chaos, but it will be organised chaos! :D

kastriotibrah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:41 pm »
Great job im loving it!

Wilkozo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »
Anyone know when the next beta will be out? And this looks cool.

PhantomLord

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:49:25 pm »
This. Looks. AWESOME!

Thanks  ;D

beatles1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:52:13 pm »
Very, very nice. Can't wait to try this out! Those GUIs are damn sexy as well ;)

Edit: Just had a couple of questions pop into my head. Have you sorted the capturing of bases yet and if so how does it work? Do you just have to go in and clear out any enemies or do you destroy buildings as with singleplayer?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:57:35 pm by beatles1 »

AnticitizenZero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Very good indeed, this was something that I once thought would never be possible.

marioparty96

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »
Looks very nice... :)

jaxm

• JC2-MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 03:07:05 pm »
Just had a couple of questions pop into my head. Have you sorted the capturing of bases yet and if so how does it work? Do you just have to go in and clear out any enemies or do you destroy buildings as with singleplayer?

Currently it works on a 'Tug-of-war' type system, where the faction with the most members present will capture a base. If there are two factions present with equal members, then it will be forced into a stalemate until one faction gains dominance over the other.

If we ever get JC-MP to a point where we can destroy and respawn the bases at will, what you're suggesting sounds like an excellent idea, however not possible at the moment.

dab88

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »
Wow, this looks great! It's really encouraging to see what's been going on behind the scenes :D

Taizun

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »
So excited to read about this!

No more random people joining your faction, just to teleport to you and cause havoc.

And the new GUI is a damn nice feature - I'm sure future server-owners will find this system exciting.