Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

RT @NOdab88: Just Cause Pro Skater 2... has it been 3 years already? #THPS #JustCause @tonyhawk @justcause @PlayStation @jc2mpdev https://t…

6 months ago

April 29, 2017, 07:40:11 pm

Author Topic: The Battle for Panau - aka Faction Wars  (Read 90715 times)

jaxm

• Developer
    • View Profile
The Battle for Panau - aka Faction Wars
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:05 am »
Hey guys, I'm the creator of the Faction Wars script that you may have played during beta. FW made use of a lot of features we couldn't get polished enough in time for the initial release of JC-MP. So I have created a similar script which we have running on our server now, it's called Battle for Panau. It pits the 3 Factions of Panau against one another in a bid to control Panau.

The server name is '[Beta] Battle for Panau - 3 Way Faction war.' You can easily find it by searching for 'battle' on our servers page or join now!
Returning Features:
Class system from Faction Wars is in, Assault / Medic / Sniper / Support

Class mechanics
Assault has a 500 damage shield on spawn
Medic can drop Medkits by pressing and holding '4' which heals himself / nearby friendlies,
Sniper has access to the deadly sniper rifle.
Support can drop Ammobox by pressing and holding '4' which restores ammo for himself / nearby allies and has access to the rocket launcher to also serve as an anti-tank class.

Squad system from Faction Wars is back and improved.

Spotting system remains mostly the same from Faction Wars. This allows for stealth gameplay, unless you a) fire your weapon, b) are spotted by an enemy player or c) in range of enemy radar ( Communication Outposts ), then you're invisible to the enemy. To spot a player you need only aim at them, it'll auto spot them for you and all your team mates in the area.

New Features:
When you capture a base the vehicles around it will re-spawn with the colour / logo of your faction.

Base plates have been redesigned, looks a lot better now.

This script makes use of TabChat, a replacement chat module I've been working on, which I'll be releasing soon for everyone to use.

I've modified the playerlist module originally written by JatochnietDan and Philpax to work as a scoreboard, showing score / kills / deaths. As usual this is accessed with F6.

TODO:

Loadout menu from spawn select currently looks horrible.  8)

I'm yet to reimplement the shop system from FW. However the bases now have a lot of military vehicles available around them.

Infiltrator / Radar hacking : Currently radar can't be disabled, haven't had time to remake the radar hack mini game using the new GUI system.

Squad commands / objectives. In FW you could issue attack / defend orders to your squad mates, this currently isn't implemented.

Squad controls for locking / unlocking / removing people from squads.

Notifications for when a base is under attack.

This script is still in development, there will be script bugs and crashes, which will be fixed when found. All feedback is welcome and encouraged.  ;)

Updates:

Changelog 30/12/2013

Client
- Fixed script error when a squad member disconnected from the server.
- Fixed a scaling issue with the player arrow on both the PDA / Minimap, looks better now.
- Fixed a render order issue which caused the player armour bar of the assault class to render on top of the base icons.
- Downscaled squad health panels.

Server
- Fixed an issue that prevented squads from being sent to a new faction member, causing them not to see any squads in the squad menu.

Changes
- Tanks no longer spawn at Civillian Villages, Civillian Cities or Communication Outposts. Only light vehicles now.
- Destroyed Vehicles now take 45 seconds to respawn ( previously 15 seconds ). This change is to address bases being too difficult to capture when a player camps a tank spawn.

New Features

Grapple Limiter
- Has 2 charges.
- Generates a charge every 6 seconds.
- Using Grapple 'F' uses a charge.
- Has a visual indicator on the players left arm, charges are represented by green bars. The recharge time is represented by a white circle that moves outward and fades as it nears charging completion. When it the grapple is completely charged the green bars will fade out after 3 seconds until a charge is used again.

Spawn Delay
- Has 2 charges.
- Generates a charge every 30 seconds.
- Spawning uses a charge.

Spawn Delay was brought in because it was too difficult to capture a point when a player can constantly respawn on that point instantly.

Old Updates

You can now access squads at any time by pressing F2 ( toggles the menu ). From here you can create / join squads in your faction.

You can redeploy by pressing 'Insert', this triggers a 10 second timer in which if you move it will cancel the redeploy process. After 10 seconds you will be able to respawn at any friendly base and change your class via the loadout menu. This can only be used every 10 minutes per player.

Fixed issues with base capture.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:26:15 pm by jaxm »

TGS

• View Profile
Re: The Battle for Panau - aka Faction Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:35:05 am »
Just wondering, is this script ever going to be public or downloadable? Or will it remain 'private'? I am going to fire up a dedicated VPS for a JCMP server (Already running one on one of my VPSes) and would absolutely love something with this depth.

Edit: I kind of get the impression from rereading the OP that it will be released but simply hasn't been polished enough?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:59:25 am by TGS »

IceDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:33 am »
Nice.

Sylvine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
My hero !

Some little things:
-Sometimes, points are impossible to capture for some players, seems to be very random;
-The game gives a random character to players, sometime it's a "big" one like the boss, so they are too tall. You should simply remove these models from the list;
-You can't zoom on the map, it's very annoying;
-You can't tell how many people there are on each team;
-You can't access (at least I don't know how to) the loadout and squad menu without dying, and you can't switch team without leaving the server;
-It seems that capturing a point with more players don't affect the speed of the process;

For the grappling hook, I think you should simply disable it.
It's way too powerful (hijacking, you're impossible to hit...) and it make vehicles useless, which mean less teamwork. Anyway the "link" function of the grappling seems to be broken. And I think it will reduce network traffic in some way.
Just add a function to suicide/teleport so people lost in the middle of nowhere don't have to walk for miles before finding a vehicle.

But very nice work, all server should have this by default.

killerbee256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've found the server however when I join it I spawn with no weapons, no chat and no clue oh how to bring the faction menu up. Is it not really yet, or am I missing something?

Sylvine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
You really need to make some advertising for this server because we hardly reach 20 people on it.

Also you have to get rid of the auto-regen (or slow it down) combats are really a mess and medics are useless with it.

GeneralApathy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:52 pm »
Very good server, but a list of commands would be useful.

killerbee256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:31:13 am »
We need to get the word out about the server, there was hardly anyone on it today.

s1alker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:31:34 am »
Would be really fun with more players.

Sylvine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:35 pm »
There's like 3000 players on JC2 right now and only 3 on this server...
It's pathetic...

jaxm

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 10:17:55 am »
Server is back online with new updates running. See main post for updates.

My hero !

Some little things:
-Sometimes, points are impossible to capture for some players, seems to be very random;
-The game gives a random character to players, sometime it's a "big" one like the boss, so they are too tall. You should simply remove these models from the list;
-You can't zoom on the map, it's very annoying;
-You can't tell how many people there are on each team;
-You can't access (at least I don't know how to) the loadout and squad menu without dying, and you can't switch team without leaving the server;
-It seems that capturing a point with more players don't affect the speed of the process;

For the grappling hook, I think you should simply disable it.
It's way too powerful (hijacking, you're impossible to hit...) and it make vehicles useless, which mean less teamwork. Anyway the "link" function of the grappling seems to be broken. And I think it will reduce network traffic in some way.
Just add a function to suicide/teleport so people lost in the middle of nowhere don't have to walk for miles before finding a vehicle.

But very nice work, all server should have this by default.

Point capture issue has been resolved. I've removed the oversized skins from each faction. Currently you can get the count of how many people are in each faction by pressing F6, more improvements to find out exactly who is in which faction are on the way. Squad menu can now be accessed with F2, Loadout is only intended to be changed before spawning. The speed at which bases capture is now determined by how many members of the faction are present, this is capped at a max speed of 5.

More updates to come.  :)

MaSKa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 11:57:12 am »
Nice gamemode...I want play it
only needs some publicity :)

brandobras

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »
Nice gamemode...I want play it
only needs some publicity :)

NEAOMER

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 06:20:54 pm »
I posted my interest in another thread about this, so I'm very happy to see this happening :-) THX

MaSKa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
I spent about five hours into the server and is really fun
when people enter and starts capturing objectives and especially good airports and military bases are mounted good battles

all have problem with ammo...try  to we can take ammo in BASE Faction or Military Bases
Once the server is filled with about 100 people do not believe it is empty, will fill more
you can see the map now,this morning was empty :)

Sorry for my english !!