Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

3 years ago

Advertisement
June 02, 2020, 04:41:11 am

Author Topic: In-game chat.  (Read 4363 times)

DeathFromAbove

• View Profile
In-game chat.
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Hello,

Apologies if this has already been suggested, i did try a search and nothing popped up.

I'd like to suggest an anti spam chat filter, only just recently I was on a server that I regularly play on and people were constantly spamming the chat. They were using macro's i.e AHK which can assign a key to say or do something, an action command for example. In this instance they're making a macro to flood the chat with their constant spam in hopes that our fun is spoiled by doing so.

Now I know people are going to say press F3 to turn chat off, but it doesn't work like that with these macro spamming bots. With the constant spam it actually crashed the server due to too many messages being sent all at once.

So my suggestion would be to add an anti spam filter which stops you from typing messages so fast (2 seconds as an example) to prevent from constant spam from happening. I've noticed with high population servers the chat is full of constant chatter and it only makes it worse when there are spammers that are ruining it for everyone and forcing servers to crash due to messages being sent too fast.

Thanks for reading.

JDonJustCause

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: In-game chat.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:29:24 pm »
Just FYI in case you may not know about the command, but there's a /localchat command on most servers that allows you to only see chat from people nearby. Of course this won't fix the issue of people spamming the server and possibly lagging it, but, in my opinion, it makes the game more enjoyable and playable.

DeathFromAbove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21:14 am »
No I did not know about that actually, but I still doubt it will fix the main problem which is still the constant spam. It's not about how many people see the chat or not, it's actually about how many times the messages are being sent all at once which bottlenecks the server and causes the crash in the first place.

Thanks anyway though.

Woet

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:22 pm »

DeathFromAbove

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:10:00 am »
Ah, okay. Well thanks for the reply, I'll probably contact the server owner and see what he/she can do about the spam then.