Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

2 years ago

Advertisement
July 21, 2019, 04:58:09 pm

Author Topic: JC2-MP Stunts [alpha test]  (Read 8373 times)

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
JC2-MP Stunts [alpha test]
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
Hi there!

For alpha test see this topic

(TL;DR below)

I want to announce that I'm working on a Stunting mode. The main idea is offcourse that you can get points by doing crazy stunts with your vehicle, but there is more than that!
The default mode will work with stunt sessions. Every session will be binded to ONE vehicle, so when you exit your vehicle, or your vehicle explodes, or you do a teleport, your session will be ended.
All your best session scores (defined by a vehicle and stunt-type) and your total scores will be saved and you will be able to see the live scores amongst the other stunters in Panau.

Stunts
Some stunts that are already implemented for land vehicles are drifting, making donuts, speeding and airtime stunts. For airplanes I only have a low flyer stunt (pretty challenging in mountain areas!). At this point it is suggested to disable all boosting scripts, because that would make it to easy to airtime with a car.. But since we all like flying boats, I might enable a boost exclusively for boats and add special stunts for long boat airtimes, long boat trips on land and diving stunts. ;)
But there are still LOTS of stunts that will be added.

The scores of these stunts are all based on their duration but there will also be stunts that will be 'one-time' events such as rolling your car (but be carefull not to damage your car too much or your session will end!). If you're performing well, you will get several bonuses like time bonuses or bonuses for making perfect landings with your stuntplane or after an airtime stunt with your car. On top of that there will also be bonuses for combo's and simultanious stunts!
I will also make it relatively easy to implement new stunts so that you can have some exclusive secret stunts on your server!

But wait, there is more
This is just the start, I have more ideas to make it even more challenging, but for now I will keep that as a secret and focus on the core functionalities.
Do you want a hint? Ok then.. you will also get points for ending other stunters their session on various ways.. (Yes I want to introduce real air combats at Panau!) This also introduces more bonus possibilities for the stunters for example, when they enter hotspots!
I think I might want to rename this to Stunt Berzerker when these extra features become available..

Cheating possibilities?
But back to the basics for now..
The actual stunt detection is currently done clientside. This may introduce extra cheat possibilities (if you somehow manage to adapt the scores that are sent to the server, the server will believe you) but on the other hand, doing everything serverside might be to much of a hassle for the server and not all stunts are currently detectable at the server-side. Besides, if you manage to mess with your position at client-side, you will still be able to fake stunts..
But I will try to do 'some' cheat detection and search for suspicious vehicle behaviours at serverside, but I guess I will limit the leaderboards to your steamfriends list at first so that you're a little bit more sure that their scores are genuine.
But ideas for better cheat detection are always welcome! Everything is still subject to change, maybe I DO want to have everything serverside, idk for now..

Camera
This script will also come with a completely configurable camera, one that doesn't change the view when you're doing stunt jumps or resets itself when you're looking around while mastering a plane (I really hate that)..
With 'completely configurable' I mean that you will not only be able to zoom in or out but you will also be able to change to a topview or even follow other stunters as a spectator, whatever you prefer.
This camera will also be useable standalone without the stunt module and will be available to use with other scripts/game modes.

Edit: Already exists: CameraView 1.12

Settings
On top of that I will also provide a little GUI where you can have some settings and be able to turn off the score counter rendering or even the complete stunt module..

When will the first version be released?
I will release the code once the script gets more decent. The stunt detection and score calculation still need lots of testing and tweaking.. But stay tuned for updates!

Update 24/12 (+ new screenshots)
I'm glad that some of you like this mode :D
I added support for wheelies on your motorcycle but the problem here is that it's actually really hard to do wheelie's.. I tried to manipulate the control a bit so that you can balance yourself on your bike and have some more control, but that didn't work out so well :p

I solved some bugs with the new code and it's now back usable again!
I also added some new stunts (see screenshots below) and I added broadcasts for the scores
like this .
Next I will start with the GUI for settings and leaderboards so that you will be able to see your stats and all the live scores. I will also look into implementing new stunts!

Once I'm happy enough about the script, I will probably make a passworded testserver in a few days so that we can see how well it works with more people! I will put the password on this board so that this is an exclusive test for the people who read this :p

If everything seems to work very well, I will probably release it short after that but please note that the score calculations will need lot of balancing too. For the "low flying" stunt you will get almost no points for flying over the water, but the score will increase when you fly near mountains and also depends on how big your aircraft is and thus how easy it handles..

The extra fun part about this mode is that it will be useably simultaneously with other big scripts! You will also be able to disable the score streak counters and such!

New screenshots below!

TL;DR
Here are some very early screenshots, you will get the point.. (will get updated):

One of the possible power ups: drift boost

The "low flyer" stunt!

Flying upside down!

Risky moves will result in higher scores!

Now we get real professional pilots!
Yes the speedometer seems to show that we are actually moving forward, but that's because it also takes sideways speed into account.

Imagine you wanting to get those extra bonuses while everyone else wants to take you down!

The topview camera will take Just Cause into another dimension, and it will be at your disposal with a click of a button!

It's almost like flying little RC planes :D

This view give's you also the possibilities to make tactical decisions!

And if you want it really challenging you can try to sheer the tops of the mountains!

Some first tests..
Drifting all the way..

Example of a topview camera
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:13:08 pm by Bradiex »

rAv3nzZ

• View Profile
Re: JC2-MP Stunts [early Alpha]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
This seems really great, good job and can't wait to add this in my server!

FictionSource

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:57 am »
Nice! :D
Finally a script that has to do with stunts!

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:15:36 am »
It will take some time to implement all these features but I hope to release a very basic version with some basic stunts as soon as possible.

f5uck

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:11:23 pm »
Great stuff! Single suggestion; most of the servers, including mine uses boost for vehicles. Could you add some feature that when you enter the stunt mode, boost disables automatically. When you exit stunt mode, boost is activated again. Is this possible? Because if they get into stunt mode with vehicle boost, it's just madness.

edit: oh i just saw the boosting script part sorry ^^

ROODAY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »
cant wait main, this looks very promising!

DJWeownthis

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »
Looking awesome so far, Good Luck!

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 06:23:49 pm »
Great stuff! Single suggestion; most of the servers, including mine uses boost for vehicles. Could you add some feature that when you enter the stunt mode, boost disables automatically. When you exit stunt mode, boost is activated again. Is this possible? Because if they get into stunt mode with vehicle boost, it's just madness.

edit: oh i just saw the boosting script part sorry ^^

Actually, I can just check if the boost key/button is pressed. Then I can ignore stunts when someone is boosting his car OR you can have extra car boost stunts. But I will let the server owners decide wether or not to use boost and boats will have boost anyway.

ROODAY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »
ooh the boost stunts sound cool! but i feel they would be hard to check.

ZMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 10:15:52 pm »
Looking forward to install this right away!

Hey, you should set up a server with this, warpgui and admin only, so we can all test! :D

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »
Looking forward to install this right away!

Hey, you should set up a server with this, warpgui and admin only, so we can all test! :D

I first have to fix some bugs that appeared when I reorganized my code (I'm new to Lua..). I'm not sure if I'll open an exclusive test server or not.. chances are that I'm gonna publish it right away.

Currently I'm looking to add wheelie support, which will also allow to check if you're driving your car on two wheels :D

rAv3nzZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:49 am »
Hey! I was thinking about that camera.. and an idea came up to me. Could it be possible to use real life map and replace the actual one? Or just see how the thing is going on at certain locations from above?

Keep up with the good work!

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:29:53 am »
Hey! I was thinking about that camera.. and an idea came up to me. Could it be possible to use real life map and replace the actual one? Or just see how the thing is going on at certain locations from above?

Keep up with the good work!

Yes that would be possible, but the problem is that there can be a lot of clouds in front of the camera then, so I'm not sure if it would be a good substitute :p but it is fun to have though.

ChrisHarris

• View Profile
Re: JC2-MP Stunts [update + new screenshots]
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
I'll be looking forward to the release of the stunt mode. It's nice to see some more variety in game modes.

Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one irritated by the stunt cam. That's why I released a vehicle camera script a few days ago with three new manually-placed views for every car in the game (a tedious process). You can get up close behind the vehicle, in the driver's seat, or on the hood/bumper. You can easily cycle between views (click right stick) and look behind you (right stick down/up).

It has a similar top-down camera as an easter egg (not mentioned in the help menu). If you type "/cam gta" in chat, it enables the top-down view. Based on the vehicle's velocity vector (averaged over several updates for smoothness), the camera moves higher up and out ahead of you to show more of where you are going. It feels much better than when it used to be tied to the vehicle's angle vector. Pushing the right stick up/down in this mode zooms the camera really far out to give you a better idea of where you are in the world.

Feel free to pull stuff out of that if you find something useful.

Bradiex

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: JC2-MP Stunts [update + new screenshots]
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:19 pm »
I'll be looking forward to the release of the stunt mode. It's nice to see some more variety in game modes.

Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one irritated by the stunt cam. That's why I released a vehicle camera script a few days ago with three new manually-placed views for every car in the game (a tedious process). You can get up close behind the vehicle, in the driver's seat, or on the hood/bumper. You can easily cycle between views (click right stick) and look behind you (right stick down/up).

It has a similar top-down camera as an easter egg (not mentioned in the help menu). If you type "/cam gta" in chat, it enables the top-down view. Based on the vehicle's velocity vector (averaged over several updates for smoothness), the camera moves higher up and out ahead of you to show more of where you are going. It feels much better than when it used to be tied to the vehicle's angle vector. Pushing the right stick up/down in this mode zooms the camera really far out to give you a better idea of where you are in the world.

Feel free to pull stuff out of that if you find something useful.

Glad to see that someone already made this :D I should have done more research..
The camera is really great, good job!
I also like the zoom in/out feature when you're speeding with the gta view, it should be added as a real camera though and not just as an easter egg. It would also be nice if that view was accessible when on foot, but then we have to adjust the aiming controls offcourse.

The only view I'm still missing is one like the default camera but with zoom functionalities and that doesn't reset its yaw all the time so that you can look more freely.. Edit: just realized this is the antisnap feature!

And you should also integrate it with the jethud script!

I think it's better to build further on your script than starting with a new one.Then I can suggest server owners to install the stuntmode script together with your camera script ;)
Perhaps you should also fire a "CameraChange" event so that all the scripts can adapt their rendering.
I saw that you added a new position for the speedometer, but it could be better if this position changes according to the camera view.

One last thing, you probably have noticed that the default camera always seems to change its FOV when you're going faster. Probably for extra simulation of the speed, but sometimes it's really weird when you start skydiving it sometimes seems that you're going upwards.. So it would be nice if we could tweak that a little bit. But for now we don't have access to other camera settings..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:13:33 pm by Bradiex »