Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

2 years ago

Advertisement
August 23, 2019, 11:59:58 pm

Author Topic: Manhunt Game Mode  (Read 9941 times)

Maroy

• View Profile
Manhunt Game Mode
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:52:33 am »
Manhunt
Manhunt is a custom game mode for JC2-MP, along the lines of Derby. Players spawn randomly above the Lost Island, and one is randomly selected as the Hunted. The Hunted gains one point for every Hunter he kills. When a Hunter killed the Hunted, he gains five points and becomes the new Hunted. More details and the code itself can be found on Manhunt's GitHub Page. Manhunt is completely 0.1.1 compatible and is fully usable, if a bit rough around the edges. If you'd like to try it out before installing, join the Amateur Labs Test Server via the in-game Server Browser or by directly connecting to "www.amateurlabs.com".

To install the script, go to the GitHub page, click "Download ZIP" from the right-hand column, and drag the "manhunt" folder from that .zip into your scripts folder.

If you use my scripts, please feel free to reply here with feedback and bug reports! I haven't been able to test it with more than six people, so there might be some errors I haven't caught yet.

DerpyGhost

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: Manhunt Game Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:04:56 am »
This seems fun, I'll tell how it handles on a large server. :)

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:02 pm »
I realised that no one gave you feedback on this one yet, let me start with that:

Please keep working on this, because it is extremely fun!
I tried it on my server (Freeroam Fun Server, 95.85.12.143:7777) and it works pretty well already.
A couple of things that might be nice to change: Keep the chat inside the gamemode if possible. At the moment people will see some chat messages with green and red names which looks weird.

Another thing that would be nice is hiding players on the minimap.

Maroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
Glad you found it fun :D Great point about the chat, it hadn't bothered me on my tiny server but I can see why it would be a problem on a more populated one. The minimap blips are handled by the standard nametag script, but I'll see if I can find a way to make it work. Did the loadouts seem okay?

Jman100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
I love this gamemode and so do my users, but an FYI the boundaries around lost island can easily be circumvented and i've had many users run away and be miles off in the ocean, or even end up in city.

Also, a recommendation for you to do (and something i've been trying to get integrated) is after 5 minutes or so, disable the hunted's parachute. Otherwise they just run forever.

Loadouts seem pretty perfect (minus the dual weilding, thats not synced and kinda pointless :P). I like how hunted gets a machine gun because its a lot easier to kill using that than the sniper rifle the hunters have.

Also I have found that drawing the waypoint every frame like you do can cause problems, and is generally a bad idea. I have many clients that cant play manhunt cuz they say every time they do they crash, and I'm 80% sure its due to the waypoint drawing every frame for the client. Maybe update it every 3 seconds or something?

Keep up the good work, look forward to your updates!

brandobras

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
Listen to this, you should remove the ability to use parachutes and grapple hooks and remove the hunted from the minimap if you can. Also, if you do this, Lost Island will be too large an island to find anyone on foot so move the gamemode to that island in the upper right of the map (it's the perfect place), and voila, you have the perfect manhunt mode.

Maroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! I pushed an update to the GitHub repository with a handful of changes. Of particular note:
  • The out-of-bounds detection code has been fixed. Before it was getting snagged over a respawn issue.
  • Changed the playing area to the northeast-most island. If you still want to use Lost Island, just swap out the two lines at the very bottom of server/manhunt.lua.
  • Added client code that in theory disables the grappling hooks for both hunters and hunted. Parachutes are still in, but I lowered the initial drop height.
  • Temporarily removed the waypoint update code, since it's mostly pointless while the nametags and minimap icons still show up.
  • Removed the duplicate revolver.

I dug through the nametag code and it doesn't look like there's any existing way to hide them. I can make a modified version that has a 'world blacklist' option of sorts, but I'm not sure if I can do that without causing confusion over which version is installed.

Feedback is always appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:08:51 pm by Maroy »

brandobras

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:08 pm »
thank you for listening you're amazing!!! If you think about it you could modify this script and make a hungergames/battleroyal mode, that'd be so cool.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:03:43 am by brandobras »

Maroy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:38:27 pm »
We'll see  ;) The tricky part there would be supply pickups and arena traps- otherwise it's just last-man-standing deathmatch.

brandobras

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:03:41 pm »
It would be cool though to begin with

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:46:51 am »
I am making a hungergames mode out of this. The traps and pickups won't be there (if you know a way to add this let me know) but I think it will be cool.

If you don't want me to modify it to hungergames, let me know.

Maroy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:33 am »
Go for it! That's why it's on GitHub, after all  ;)

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
roger that :D I am already working on it :D do you know a way to remove the 1vsall thing? right now i am working on that, but i'm not sure if everyone can kill everyone and that sort of things

Maroy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »
The simplest thing to do would probably be to comment out most of the statements in the SetIt() function where it selects the next 'it'/Hunted. After that, it should be easy to up the rest of the 'it'-related code.  :)

brandobras

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 02:25:35 pm »
roger that :D I am already working on it :D do you know a way to remove the 1vsall thing? right now i am working on that, but i'm not sure if everyone can kill everyone and that sort of things
you're amazing! can't wait to try it!