Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

2 years ago

Advertisement
October 16, 2019, 06:27:31 am

Author Topic: AAAAA Object Spawner  (Read 9197 times)

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: AAAAA Object Spawner
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 08:26:33 am »
Seems to me like his script is not that hard to make. I don't see why it is so 'special' since he just put the items of the modelviewer in the buymenu script and made it only available in 'build world'. Really, in theory it could be one day of work except for all the names.

I don't have much time, but I was planning to make this anyway, so if  Jman100 doesn't release it soon, I will do it for him.

Also I agree that people should not be so stubborn to keep all scripts for themselves. I am making a Hunger Games mode at the moment, which I will run for a week maybe and then I will release it for public use.

I think that those people with private scripts just don't want to lose their 'highlighted' position, because they know that they will fall back once they are not highlighted anymore.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:37:44 am by misterff1 »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:32 am »
Quote from: Misterff1
Seems to me like his script is not that hard to make. I don't see why it is so 'special' since he just put the items of the modelviewer in the buymenu script and made it only available in 'build world'. Really, in theory it could be one day of work except for all the names.

I don't have much time, but I was planning to make this anyway, so if  Jman100 doesn't release it soon, I will do it for him.

Also I agree that people should not be so stubborn to keep all scripts for themselves. I am making a Hunger Games mode at the moment, which I will run for a week maybe and then I will release it for public use.

I think that those people with private scripts just don't want to lose their 'highlighted' position, because they know that they will fall back once they are not highlighted anymore.
+1.
I can help with names once you write the base of it. Just have it print the actual object's name at first and then as we spawn them going down the list we'll write a concise and descriptive name for each.

Jman100

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:11 am »
Okay, since this seems to be such a big damn issue, here it is.

Build World WILL NOT be released to the public for a LONG time (if ever).

I spent quite a lot of time and effort to create it, and it's far from done. I do not hold it back because I am a "greedy scripter" or anything like that. It's my code, and it's on my server, which is highlighted at the moment. If everyone had access to it, what would be the point of having it highlighted? Hell, let's just release ALL the scripts. Then we can have 750 servers that are all exactly the same. I mean think about what you're asking here. You want people to release their scripts, so you can put it on your own, and reap the rewards without the work. All that does is water down the impact of the script itself, making it pointless.

That being said, scripts that ARE released, like AWG factions and Derby for example, are great, and it's completely the creators decision as to whether or not to release it. But you don't get users because your server has derby on it (no offense to Patawic). You get players when you have something unique.

That's all I'll say on the matter. Bicker if you'd like :D

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:49 am »
Quote from: Misterff1

+1.
I can help with names once you write the base of it. Just have it print the actual object's name at first and then as we spawn them going down the list we'll write a concise and descriptive name for each.

Deal, I'll let you know when I have the base for it

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
@Jman100

Not all ppl want scripts cuz they want to make a server with them, some ppl would like to learn how to make things like what you made like the build world, the "events" with the /tower, /dish commands etc. BUT since this forum's lua wiki mostly only has the things "put apart", and since the basic lua e-books are also not about how to make a lua script for JC2MP  there have to be full scripts released to learn how to put those lua parts together to make them work in JC2MP but if the scripters have the point of view in this case like yours then how in hell should someone learn how to script those things like what u made?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:05:56 pm by SonnySalieri »

WPK-Wolfseye

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »
In the beginning I found it sad that so many just build the stuff for themselves, just to make their Server look better. JC2MP is no competetive Game, so there should also not be a popularity contest for who has the better server.

Consider the thousands (probably more) hours the Devs put in over the years to create this Mod, a Multiplayer for a Game that never had one. Imagine the extend of what they had to go through. Yet here we have people making stuff obviously far smaller in extend but only keep it to themselves.

You know, over the years I was always impressed what the ARMA community came up with to improve their Game. I think I never saw so many Addons, Tools and whatnot than from the ARMA community. Did you see anyone there ask for money for a tool ? Did you see people really much keeping stuff for themselves ? No, they offered it freely to everyone. There isn't a day til today where you can't find anything new for the ARMA series in the direction of Mods, Addons, Maps, Tools and i don't know what else.

They all put obviously a lot of work for all these things, and they know that sharing it with others is what keeps a Community going. I was a bit shocked in the beginning when I entered the JC2MP community, how much most people were concerned only about themselves and their own Server.

I personally like to thank everyone here that has released stuff for everyone to enjoy over the last 2 months. But you know, I hear from a lot of people who are already bored by the Game and moved on or are about to move on to other Games because they were bored with what was possible so far with the Mod.

I personally like the Game far too much to already move on to something else, in the end I waited for this Game as MP for many years. But I can see why they might be bored.

And now think about all the fancy things quite a few developers kept to themselves. People would have to come to their Servers to get a wiff of the things this Game can offer, if the right things are added to it by the Community. But does everyone has to join a 300 Player Server where they hardly have time to check things out before some moron shoots them in the back and keeps them from trying out stuff ? Why should not everyone be able enjoy these things on their own, on their own terms, with all the things that have been created already.

Honestly, I think all those Script developers that prefer to keep their stuff to themselves should never go through other communities like ARMA because people would not like to have that in my opinion selfish way of doing things around them.

Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone's work, but if you're not willing to bring the things to the table so all can enjoy it, dont advertise or talk about the stuff you do (but are not willing to share) because that only ****** people off.

And don't start with that its their choice what they do with their stuff, this isnt about the law or the rights of the people, this is about getting the point of what a community means. If you don't care that people are already leaving this Game because they are bored with what they can do right now, then you don't get it.

Again, before anyone starts being ***** off about my comments, this is not against anyone in particular but in general. You are of a different opinion about that ? Thats fine, but this is my opinion and I think I have a right for that.

And again, thanks to all those who have released free Scripts and with that helped other people to have a good time with this Game, I sure am greatful for that and think that you are what keeps this Game going (besides the Mod Devs of course ;) ).

Wolfseye

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 05:00:48 pm »
+1 Wolf.

Quote from: Jman
Okay, since this seems to be such a big damn issue, here it is.

Build World WILL NOT be released to the public for a LONG time (if ever).

I spent quite a lot of time and effort to create it, and it's far from done. I do not hold it back because I am a "greedy scripter" or anything like that. It's my code, and it's on my server, which is highlighted at the moment. If everyone had access to it, what would be the point of having it highlighted? Hell, let's just release ALL the scripts. Then we can have 750 servers that are all exactly the same. I mean think about what you're asking here. You want people to release their scripts, so you can put it on your own, and reap the rewards without the work. All that does is water down the impact of the script itself, making it pointless.

That being said, scripts that ARE released, like AWG factions and Derby for example, are great, and it's completely the creators decision as to whether or not to release it. But you don't get users because your server has derby on it (no offense to Patawic). You get players when you have something unique.

That's all I'll say on the matter. Bicker if you'd like :D
You get players because you're either popular or highlighted and you keep players because you either have something unique or have a good atmosphere and server. I don't get a ton of traffic but what I get usually becomes regulars because of all the work I've put into tweaking community scripts.

If you've been to many other servers you'd see that most are barely running the default scripts. There are only one, maybe two, dozen servers with active, intelligent, server owners. And even with that many capable of operating scripts, you don't see 24 complete clones. Every server is different, based on the owner's personal preferences.

Also I think it's safe for me to say that the majority of active server owners DO do much work on their servers. While most of us run community made scripts, I'm pretty sure most of us have changed or tweaked them at least slightly from base. Of the over 50 I run, only a small handful, perhaps half a dozen, have only one or two changes. Most have many changes ranging from little tweaks to huge re-writes. I really doubt I'm the only one who does this.

There's also the simple fact that some scripts don't play well with others or on certain servers. Can you imagine an object spawn on Nerdcubed at peak when they have over 300? That's a lotta ice sheets.

I think it's safe to say the majority of those who use community scripts are not freeloaders. Assuming that is disrespectful to your peers.

And for the record, there's only about 350 servers in total  ;)

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 05:17:33 pm »
Sooner or later one or more scripters will team up to volunteer to "remake" or clone the scripts and make scripts of the possibile "special" stuff that JC2MP can offer, that were not released like Anzu did clone the test server's faction script with the AWGFactions and like some ppl here already started workin on a clone of Jman's object spawner and i think there will be some guys volunteer to make a clone of the RLRP server's hit-marker and empty vehicle destruction possibility too so maybe sooner or later all "special" stuff will be made AND RELEASED no matter if the owner of its "original script" wants it or not and this is how a community should really work together, along with going around and ignoring the greedy ones.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:19:32 pm by SonnySalieri »

ROODAY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »
I concur, scripts shouldn't be hoarded. It's not like we don't give credit/remove the "x made this" parts of scripts either. Plus, I find that I don't like many vanilla versions of scripts, as I may not find them enjoyable, or that they could be improved. Now, sending a suggestion that may or may not be heard, let alone implemented, isn't nearly as good as the dev releasing the script so we can all enjoy it the way we want to. It's a bit childish to keep scripts just so people come to your server only. As for me, no one comes to my server except friends and the random passerby, because A: it's on my laptop that I run only sometimes, and B: I like it that way. Not everyone wants scripts for more people on their servers. We just want scripts to enjoy them the way we want to.

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:12 pm »
I think it is pretty clear Jman100..

We want that script no matter what. Ofcourse you could be so stubborn to keep it for yourself, but in that case you won't get the credit it deserves and people have to live with a ripoff. Like I said I had this idea of buildworld too. Even before you released it. So I will make it no matter what unless you release the script yourself and save me the trouble because you just refuse to do it.

Yes, you made a unique script out of two existing ones and ofcourse that must've cost you quite some hours of work, but no one will appreciate it anymore once Jason and I release the alternative and you didn't post that script yourself.

Is it because you are afraid of being removed from the highlighted list and having no players again? Because trust me, if your server is good(and I definitly agree it is, it is awesome even without buildworld) then you won't be forgotten. So then you will have credit for your hard work AND have a nice playerbase.

Really Jman100, I think you are a clever guy with alot of potential. Don't make me lose that thought because you refuse to do the right thing.
(and I agree with rooday that it should not be about the playeramount anyway)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:34:47 pm by misterff1 »

mandella644

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:07 pm »
The Build World script was created by Jman100. It belongs to him. He can do whatever he wants with his script. He does not have to share his script. He should not be pressured into sharing his script. The act of not sharing his script does not make him greedy. Asking him for the Build World script is like asking jaxm for the Faction Wars script or the developers of the Real Life Server to share their Roleplay script. The Build World script is currently the only major script that makes Jman100's server unique. His server is featured because of the Build World script.

Please stop trying to pressure Jman100 into releasing/sharing his script. He has clearly stated that it's not going to be released any time soon, if ever.

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 07:50:06 pm »
The Build World script was created by Jman100. It belongs to him. He can do whatever he wants with his script. He does not have to share his script. He should not be pressured into sharing his script. The act of not sharing his script does not make him greedy. Asking him for the Build World script is like asking jaxm for the Faction Wars script or the developers of the Real Life Server to share their Roleplay script. The Build World script is currently the only major script that makes Jman100's server unique. His server is featured because of the Build World script.

Please stop trying to pressure Jman100 into releasing/sharing his script. He has clearly stated that it's not going to be released any time soon, if ever.

Sorry, it is not meant to force him to release it. All I am saying is that it will be made by others(probably me and Jason) so if he wants credit it would be a wise thing to release it.

If it sounds like forcing him, that is not what I meant.

ROODAY

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »
I'm not trying to pressure anyone here, just pointing that it's kind of childish to not share scripts. Especially in this case, as Build World is a mix of buymenu and spawn menu, with a separate world to do it in. As misterff said, if it's not released, alternatives will be made and no credit for him. When the entire JC2 MP mod, which took an insane amount of time to release, was released for free, why are there ANY scripts that are not shared? It's like in-app purchases for phones. It's just silly.

Also, misterff, if you guys do it, I can help if needed.

mandella644

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 09:44:55 pm »
It's not childish. If I were to develop a script to use on my server to bring more attention to it, would that make me childish? That's what an intelligent server owner would do; he wouldn't share impressive and definitive scripts because if he did they could easily be picked up by the owners of the popular severs, which would make his own server irrelevant.

why are there ANY scripts that are not shared?

...so unique servers will remain unique? Seems pretty obvious to me.

ROODAY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:30 pm »
Quote from: mandella644 on Today at 03:44:55 pm
impressive and definitive

Not to be mean but mashing a buymenu with spawnlists and peaceful world is neither impressive nor definitive. It can be easily recreated, as it seems it's gonna happen that way. The reason it would be good if he releases is that it would save others' time, and that he would get credit. Plus with more input, the script would evolve and get better. If he doesn't want the benefits, that's fine by me. And you bring up the argument of wanting people on your server. That's the issue right there. It shouldn't be about getting people on your server. It should be about having fun. Last time I checked, having 500 people on my server will not get me farther in life.

I would also like to address Jman's concern with releasing all scripts, that all servers would be the same. Have you not played on any other servers other than your own? There's a wealth of scripts to choose from, and no one want's all of them, nor are all compatible. There are even some servers that are just vanilla, or have, in my opinion, way too little scripts. Releasing a script doesn't guarantee that everyone will use it, it just guarantee's that you'll get feedback.

*the quote is weird because the site was derpin on me, quoting people would get weird things in text
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:42:27 pm by ROODAY »