Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

2 years ago

Advertisement
August 23, 2019, 11:58:55 pm

Author Topic: [BETA] FactionsPlus 1.0 (AWGFactions Revamp)  (Read 21458 times)

ROODAY

• View Profile
Re: [BETA] FactionsPlus 0.1 (AWGFactions Revamp)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:16 am »
If someone can't do the chat commands they probably shouldn't be leading a Faction anyway ;)

Lol. Need a GUI? CSG to the rescue!

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:29 pm »
Only 1 base can be made or more than one?
Maybe add a possibility to take over more places for base or as turf, like its on RLRP, that a faction has one base but can take over more places (villages/military bases etc.) for turf, so there could be not only a war for a base but for turf too. And if the base (for example a stronghold) got taken over by a rival faction then a place from the turf (a village, military base etc.) still owned could become the "next base".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:59:57 pm by SonnySalieri »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:22 am »
Maybe add a possibility to take over more places for base or as turf, like its on RLRP, that a faction has one base but can take over more places (villages/military bases etc.) for turf, so there could be not only a war for a base but for turf too. And if the base (for example a stronghold) got taken over by a rival faction then a place from the turf (a village, military base etc.) still owned could become the "next base".
Yea, only 1 base per faction. That's kind of why it's your HQ... ::)
'Turf' = Your base's size / 'area' is relative to the amount of players in your faction. The formula is BaseRadius * Number of Players in Faction = Base Size Radius. The BaseRadius is a default of 25, so a faction of about 20 players would cover the normal stream distance.

Bases can't be captured nor destroyed by others, so if you want to 'conquer' an area you'd have to keep attacking the faction's base until they agree to move it.

I don't see conquerable/skirmish bases in the scope of this project, at least not my part of it. It would take ALOT of work and I don't think it would be used. Most people aren't going to want to fight over every single little village. If they want a faction base vs faction base war they can set the bases close or one can set a rally near the other. That was part of the point behind Rally/TP Points: One man goes in and quietly sets the rally point, the other faction not knowing he's done this(though they can assume) and then the rest of his faction all TPs in together. During the battle the attackers keep TPing to their rally.

Panau is so big, even BFP is running into the issue of people being on and capping bases but never seeing each other. This script could be modified to allow controlling villages/multiple bases, but I won't be the one doing it. You or independent Server Owners could.

On another note: More features added! I encourage y'all to check the changelog and logon to test and try out everything! Also, NEW and UPDATED screenshots on the first post, hooray!

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:45 am »
If someone can't do the chat commands they probably shouldn't be leading a Faction anyway ;)

Lol. Need a GUI? CSG to the rescue!

Not a GUI guy myself Rooday, but yeah we can do that together maybe

Another thing for you,Jason: Could you make something so that you cannot make a faction base within +- 100 meters from another base?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:34:04 am by misterff1 »

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
'Turf' = Your base's size / 'area' is relative to the amount of players in your faction. The formula is BaseRadius * Number of Players in Faction = Base Size Radius. The BaseRadius is a default of 25, so a faction of about 20 players would cover the normal stream distance.

Bases can't be captured nor destroyed by others, so if you want to 'conquer' an area you'd have to keep attacking the faction's base until they agree to move it.

I don't see conquerable/skirmish bases in the scope of this project, at least not my part of it. It would take ALOT of work and I don't think it would be used. Most people aren't going to want to fight over every single little village. If they want a faction base vs faction base war they can set the bases close or one can set a rally near the other. That was part of the point behind Rally/TP Points: One man goes in and quietly sets the rally point, the other faction not knowing he's done this(though they can assume) and then the rest of his faction all TPs in together. During the battle the attackers keep TPing to their rally.

Panau is so big, even BFP is running into the issue of people being on and capping bases but never seeing each other. This script could be modified to allow controlling villages/multiple bases, but I won't be the one doing it. You or independent Server Owners could.

Well i can add the suggestion i wrote about main faction base and villages/military bases/citiy districts as turf to Anzu's topic too. But if he wont make it and you wont make it and neither the scripter of BFP nor the scripter of RLRP will ever release it (im sure about that) then who will make it?
And if you dont add extras like this to ur version of AWGFactions then why didnt you just continue Anzu's work in his script instead of starting a kinda new one relying on his?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:57:32 pm by SonnySalieri »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 07:54:49 pm »

Well i can add the suggestion i wrote about main faction base and villages/military bases/citiy districts as turf to Anzu's topic too. But if he wont make it and you wont make it and neither the scripter of BFP nor the scripter of RLRP will ever release it (im sure about that) then who will make it?
Sounds like it's your turn to take the wheel for the project. Scripts usually are born out of either Necessity or Desire. I wanted a more powerful Faction script, so I began adding features to AWGs which eventually turned into a massive revamp. That's how the MODding world works. You take your favorite MODs and then modify them or create a new one from it and others. If you would like this feature, then it will be born out of your desire. The basic framework was laid by Anzu, I expanded it and added more support to the foundation. This feature may require some additional framework, but most of the functions needed I believe already exist(I made them when I built the current Faction Bases). Most of all it just takes time. Probably A LOT of it as you're wanting every single settlement icon to be conquerable. That means every single settlement must be mapped.

And if you dont add extras like this to ur version of AWGFactions then why didnt you just continue Anzu's work in his script instead of starting a kinda new one relying on his?
Umm, have you not been reading the first post? The new pictures and Changelog are full of things which didn't exist in AWGFactions.
Quote from: My First Post
Faction Bases,
Faction Rally Point,
Public Chat Faction Titles,
Spawn/Respawn at Faction Base,
More Efficient Color Use(How much you ask? OVER 9000!)
I completely rewrote how colors are handled so that there are now more than 70 presets and 16,581,375 different colors.
Faction Name Creation requirements(Min/Max Length, Forced first letter capitalization, Blacklist)
Faction Creation Dues(to cut down on so many random Factions)
Required Leaving a Faction before joining a new one(to prevent orphaned Factions)
Comprehensive Admin command system allowing Admins to execute any faction command for any faction and any player.
Ability for Admins to create empty Factions for RP use (Reapers, Cops, etc)
Faction Base Names and area indicators.
Faction Rally Point Name and area indicator.
Reworked player Faction Tag to scale based on distance so it isn't dreadfully small when far away.
Kill/Death messages and Rewards based on Killer's & Victim's ranks.
Diplomacy feature to show enemies & allies.
Large rework of how playernames are handled so that now any player's name will be matched, even if they have a million spaces.
Expanded Rank system from 3 to 5(10 at release).
Added a command so that players can type normally but chat only to their Faction.
Created a comprehensive Permissions System.
Streamlined and optimized many existing functions of AWGs. They are now simpler to understand and easier on the server.
Simple but comprehensive Configuration options for pretty much anything that could be changed.
...Countless various other small tweaks.
...These aren't extras?

The original server file is 62,767 characters and 1,306 lines long.
The new server file is 117,863 characters and 2,372 lines long and still growing.
The client file is 5x the size of the original and the config file is 3x.

I don't see how you can say I don't have any 'extras' compared to AWG.

Belittling and insulting my existing work will not increase your chances of me doing something I said I wouldn't.

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:24 pm »
If u dont want to add it okay, but dont be surprised if there will be more ppl later suggesting the same thing i did.
Oh and how could i add my suggestion to this into the script when i dont see any script to add it to i mean u didnt give any download links so i guess u dont have it up on github yet.

How about adding a possibility to use space and underscore ( _ ) in faction names?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:53:00 pm by SonnySalieri »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 06:56:20 am »
If u dont want to add it okay, but dont be surprised if there will be more ppl later suggesting the same thing i did.
Oh and how could i add my suggestion to this into the script when i dont see any script to add it to i mean u didnt give any download links so i guess u dont have it up on github yet.

How about adding a possibility to use space and underscore ( _ ) in faction names?
If more people want that feature that badly then I'm sure someone will make it.

As stated in my first post,
This is only a Beta currently, so no download.
Obviously I was referring to after I release it you can add any features you want.

About name changes, Spaces will never be allowed due to how the command syntaxing is. It would require writing commands as '/f,join,factionname' or '/f-join-factionname'. No one is used to writing commands like that, so changing to that wouldn't really work.
As for underscores, maybe. Haven't looked into it much. Not sure if I can add only a few special characters as allowed. Currently Anzu is running an Alpha-Numeric check.

On another note, two big things were accomplished today.

Faction Name Changing
Quote from: Changelog
Added '/f name <name>' name changing command. This command checks if the new name is used, too short, too long, or blacklisted, and if it is valid it then changes the Faction's name. A chat Broadcast is sent notifying all online players of the Faction's name change, this cannot be turned off in the config(Because if a Faction changes its name everyone should know). Internally, it changes the table entries for the faction, every member of the faction, and for every faction that is allied or enemied with/to the faction. Scriptwise, it is a fairly large function. For this reason it is able to be turned off in the config. It also has a purchase cost. By default this is 10k, though I would suggest some servers raising it to over 100k. The cost is to prevent factions from constantly changing their name, which is not only stupid but bad for the server. If your server is highly trafficked I would probably suggest disabling this feature or raising the cost very high. I am not sure whether this will ship as on or off by default.
There is of course an admin command as well. This command only checks to see if the desired name is already a faction. Aside from that, any name may be set by an Admin. As with all Admin commands, this cannot be turned off by a config option and so must be manually disabled by editing the server file if you wish to not allow Admins to use this feature.

Server File has reached double the size of original
Doesn't really affect the MOD any, but I see it as a milestone.
Code: [Select]
The original server file has: 62,767 characters and 1,306 lines.
The new server file has: 126,079 characters and 2,547 lines.
The original client file has: 6,806 characters and 186 lines.
The new client file has: 34,351 characters and 821 lines.
The original config file has: 6,344 characters and 162 lines.
The new config file has: 16,419 characters and 271 lines.
And yes, all those lines and characters each have a purpose ;) Might not be much of an accomplishment for experienced coders, but as I am not a scripter by trade it is a milestone for me.

Pasketi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 08:57:35 am »
About name changes, Spaces will never be allowed due to how the command syntaxing is. It would require writing commands as '/f,join,factionname' or '/f-join-factionname'. No one is used to writing commands like that, so changing to that wouldn't really work.
As for underscores, maybe. Haven't looked into it much. Not sure if I can add only a few special characters as allowed. Currently Anzu is running an Alpha-Numeric check.
Sorry to pop in to your argument like this, but I've soon a lot of codes and commands in different games and other applications use quotes around the names to approve the usage of spaces ( "Like so" ). This way the program knows, when an argument starts and when it stops. Then it may take anything it can find inside the quotes as input. Even spaces (If you want your name to have quotes, there may be a way to insert them as a part of the input, like \" or such, but I should look into that. Too bad I can't be bothered)

Hope this helps?

And Sonny, leave this man alone, if you're not going to help him code. Ideas are fine, but fighting to get those ideas through is something you shouldn't do. He might not have the time of the knowledge to do this (No offense), and I expect that you don't either.

keeri

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 12:11:39 pm »
("/f join faction name"):sub(9)
That will usually do the trick, you might need to trim spaces though.

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 01:10:07 pm »
Jason, for someone who actually a scripter you have accomplished alot. I am not a good one myself and adding all this would be very difficult for me. So ignore it, you're doing a great job! Can't wait to test this on my server. People are waiting desperately for it :)

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 06:54:43 pm »
And Sonny, leave this man alone, if you're not going to help him code. Ideas are fine, but fighting to get those ideas through is something you shouldn't do. He might not have the time of the knowledge to do this (No offense), and I expect that you don't either.

How in hell could i help him code if i dont have the script to look through it to see where i could add something or not? I'd try to add my ideas to it if i'd have the script but since i dont have it where should i add anything? this is what i also pointed out in my last post but i guess u didnt read it thoroughly...so yea nevermind...  And hey i didnt said anything about his scripting qualities or yours so backoff the knoweledge line dont be a wiseguy... he's not a time millionaire and neither am i this i also stated in one of my posts so why dont you read posts more thoroughly?
I think i wont post any more ideas, instead i'll wait till he releases it and see if i can add them to it afterwards.

kthxbai

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 08:25:47 pm »
Jeez, sonny caln down man. Why do you always have to be upset about everything? Why dont you read Jason's posts better? He said why you can't have it yet.

Calm down man.. Seriously

Esamir

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 10:58:38 pm »
I don't know if it was asked, but:

1. Faction name aliases
I think that this would be useful. It is something like mirror to a faction. For example: you create faction called Police, but some player joins police. Difference is so small... so then, when player joins police, he will not create new faction but will join Police. All this mess in in case of first letter.
/f alias add Police police, for example, to add alias, and /f alias del police to remove it.

2. Multiple factions
You did it better. No need of that, sorry.

3. Disabling nametags
That would be really the thing that many admins need. A lot of people uses ZED, which has it's own tagging system.

4. Administravtive access
Sure. Might be really helpful to contorl every faction from single account not using SQL edits. You know, executing any commands as it's leader, for example (/f admin kick badplayer goodfaction).

5. GUI
This mess will defenently ease usage. From creating faction to leaving it. I don't really need it, but it will ease everything. Probably.

6. Access control
Last thing. There is no need to create lots of factions, so it might be useful to disallow players creating, joining, leaving factions. Maybe something like access levels. Would be great if ZED Tunnel (Groups) would work with this.

So, that's all the suggestions I have on my mind.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:08:57 pm by Esamir »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 01:36:28 am »
Wow, a lot happened on here while I was away today. I will quote and reply to each. Forgive me for the long post. You can either quote and delete all but my reply to you or just reply and I'll know what you're talking about ;)
Sorry to pop in to your argument like this, but I've soon a lot of codes and commands in different games and other applications use quotes around the names to approve the usage of spaces ( "Like so" ). This way the program knows, when an argument starts and when it stops. Then it may take anything it can find inside the quotes as input. Even spaces (If you want your name to have quotes, there may be a way to insert them as a part of the input, like \" or such, but I should look into that. Too bad I can't be bothered)

Hope this helps?
Yea, that's an idea I had toyed with but only briefly because currently names with spaces isn't a major concern for me. I like the idea, but there are other more important things I need to work on currently. Posting ideas and thoughts about how it could be done is helpful though. One of the major things I need to do next will probably allow names with spaces to be done better.
("/f join faction name"):sub(9)That will usually do the trick, you might need to trim spaces though.
Yea, that might work. The main problem I have currently is A: Factions are handled by their name(this will be changed to ID soon, hopefully) and B: That idea only works if the faction name is the last command. Currently Admin commands use the faction name in the middle of the command to control the faction and then the next entry in the line is the command you want it to do.
Example: '/f admin Cops setcolor blue5'
/f admin brings you into the admin commands, if you specify a Faction name it will then let you do any command as if you're a leader. If you say 'create' instead of a faction name you can then type a new faction name to create an empty public faction.
I'm currently breaking the chat command up at the spaces and turning that into a table I use throughout the script. Not sure exactly how to get it to find quote("") or some other character and know how to make that one entry even if there's spaces. Any ideas?

Jason, for someone who actually a scripter you have accomplished alot. I am not a good one myself and adding all this would be very difficult for me. So ignore it, you're doing a great job! Can't wait to test this on my server. People are waiting desperately for it :)
Thanks, that's encouraging :)

How in hell could i help him code if i dont have the script to look through it to see where i could add something or not? I'd try to add my ideas to it if i'd have the script but since i dont have it where should i add anything? this is what i also pointed out in my last post but i guess u didnt read it thoroughly...so yea nevermind...  And hey i didnt said anything about his scripting qualities or yours so backoff the knoweledge line dont be a wiseguy... he's not a time millionaire and neither am i this i also stated in one of my posts so why dont you read posts more thoroughly?
I think i wont post any more ideas, instead i'll wait till he releases it and see if i can add them to it afterwards.

kthxbai
As mentioned before, there is no download because I'm still working on it. It doesn't do any good for multiple people to work on a project if they're not doing so cooperatively. It's easiest for me to work on it for the time being and get all the infrastructure and functions written first. Sometimes I have to rewrite how things work, and doing that with other people working on it wouldn't work so well. Once released I'll be excited to see what the community creates from it.

I don't know if it was asked, but:

1. Faction name aliases
I think that this would be useful. It is something like mirror to a faction. For example: you create faction called Police, but some player joins police. Difference is so small... so then, when player joins police, he will not create new faction but will join Police. All this mess in in case of first letter.
/f alias add Police police, for example, to add alias, and /f alias del police to remove it.
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll split your post up and reply to each one.
For Faction Name aliases, you sound like this is mostly to deal with the problem of people creating factions called 'Cops' or 'Reapers' and then others wanting to join the faction and joining 'cops' or 'reapers' instead and thus creating new factions. I found this to be a very annoying problem as it not only created many excess factions, but the Writer side of me hated seeing all that incorrect capitalization(yea, Writers probably shouldn't be scripters, lol). For this reason I added code which forces the first letter to be capitalized whenever it's handling a Faction name. Typing '/f join cops' or '/f join Cops' both put you in the Cops faction. I think this is probably a better remedy than having aliases. A problem I see with a general aliases system is that factions could add tons of names to their alias list and take up popular and desired names and thus not let others use them.
What are your thoughts?

2. Multiple factions
You did it better. No need of that, sorry.
:) Not sure that being in multiple factions would work very well, though a change I'll be doing soon may allow that ability to be added.

3. Disabling nametags
That would be really the thing that many admins need. A lot of people uses ZED, which has it's own tagging system.
This MOD displays Faction name and diplomacy stance above the player. It is independent of the NameTags MOD. I don't really see why you would want the Faction name disabled even if you were using ZED. I don't use ZED personally, so you'd have to give an example. It should be easy for me to add an Admin config option to turn them off globally if you'd like.

4. Administravtive access
Sure. Might be really helpful to contorl every faction from single account not using SQL edits. You know, executing any commands as it's leader, for example (/f admin kick badplayer goodfaction).
'/f admin <faction> <command>' ;)
This allows you to use any command as if you were the leader of that faction, only difference is there are only the bare minimum checks for safety's sake so you can do pretty much anything(like setting a color that is already used or setting an RGB color even if they aren't enabled, changing name even if it's not enabled, or changing name to any size regardless of min/max set in config).
It's a pretty comprehensive Admin System. A few examples:
/f admin reapers join Bob - Adds Bob to faction Reapers.
/f admin reapers setpass killpanay - Sets Reapers password to 'killpanay'.
/f admin reapers kick Bob - Kicks Bob from Reapers.
/f admin reapers ban Bob - Bans Bob from Reapers(Poor Bob).
/f admin reapers name Roaches - Changes Reapers name to Roaches(Bolo is gonna be mad).
/f admin reapers diplomacy - Tells you who's Reapers allies and enemies.
/f admin reapers del - Deletes Reapers faction.
There are more commands, but you get the general gist of the system.

5. GUI
This mess will defenently ease usage. From creating faction to leaving it. I don't really need it, but it will ease everything. Probably.
GUIs are nice, but I doubt I'll be adding them. It should be fairly easy for someone familiar with GUIs to add a GUI to the system after I release it. I would love to see this and have ideas for it, but I have no experience with GUIs so probably would not do well writing it.

6. Access control
Last thing. There is no need to create lots of factions, so it might be useful to disallow players creating, joining, leaving factions. Maybe something like access levels. Would be great if ZED Tunnel (Groups) would work with this.
Again, not familiar with ZED's so you'd have to explain that to me. I could add config options to disable each command on a per command basis, if that is something desired by the community? Admin's are able to create and manage factions entirely so you could remove the player's ability to do so. I could see how this would be beneficial if used on an RP or private server.

I do have a fairly comprehensive permissions system governing Officer commands. Officer commands are basically any Leader command. Due to the new permissions system and advanced ranks system I have changed them to being called Officer Commands.

So, that's all the suggestions I have on my mind.
Thanks! I hope you're able to reply to my comments and questions.

If any of y'all haven't logged on to check out the features first hand I suggest doing so. The F5 Help tab is updated and tells you all the commands. Creating factions do cost, but if I'm on I can give you some $$ or you can do a Panau Drivers Job and have enough.

Sorry if I missed anyone's post or question. Please post again if I did.