Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

3 years ago

Advertisement
June 02, 2020, 02:58:39 am

Author Topic: 0.1.4 Announcement  (Read 47588 times)

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: 0.1.4 Announcement
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:28 pm »
That is exactly what they plan to improve on the next release along with unicode support

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »
Shown in the video:
  • Earthquakes
  • Real-time vehicle colour changing
  • Smoke on teleport
  • Gibs on death
  • Back to the Future car teleportation
  • Hats!
  • Heat-seeking missiles
  • Amphibious cars
When will we see the scripts or code used to create these? I haven't seen any server with amphibious cars yet. What code is used to do this, or is it a server setting?

Yeah I didn't see amphibious cars either. The missiles were not finished yet Jason, so those will come later.
So, Jman has amphibious vehicles and players which seems to be done by having an object(or rather just the collision of one) set to the player's location. This is evidenced by the fact that boats get screwed when water driving is enabled. Dev confirmation on this?(As it was an advertised feature there is no reason to not explain how it is accomplished atleast rudimentary).
Also, I've heard Brasil RolePlay has working Tracking Missiles, so apparently there isn't an issue with that either.

It would be nice to see more Server Admin support from the Devs when new features are released. We don't need the exact code, but it would be nice to know the commands or at least the concept of design instead of shooting in the dark to reinvent every feature you advertise with new releases.

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2014, 02:18:08 am »
Shown in the video:
  • Earthquakes
  • Real-time vehicle colour changing
  • Smoke on teleport
  • Gibs on death
  • Back to the Future car teleportation
  • Hats!
  • Heat-seeking missiles
  • Amphibious cars
When will we see the scripts or code used to create these? I haven't seen any server with amphibious cars yet. What code is used to do this, or is it a server setting?

Yeah I didn't see amphibious cars either. The missiles were not finished yet Jason, so those will come later.
So, Jman has amphibious vehicles and players which seems to be done by having an object(or rather just the collision of one) set to the player's location. This is evidenced by the fact that boats get screwed when water driving is enabled. Dev confirmation on this?(As it was an advertised feature there is no reason to not explain how it is accomplished atleast rudimentary).
Also, I've heard Brasil RolePlay has working Tracking Missiles, so apparently there isn't an issue with that either.

It would be nice to see more Server Admin support from the Devs when new features are released. We don't need the exact code, but it would be nice to know the commands or at least the concept of design instead of shooting in the dark to reinvent every feature you advertise with new releases.

Remember when the last test was over and the first full version was released? There was the same damn situation with the factions script, that is now with the scripts for the features you mentioned, back then the devs said the test server's factions script was not finished yet and still it was already on lotta servers.

What the fuck is going on? Don't tell me this is not greediness if the new features' scripts are not publicly released but they are already on some servers!
Devs, don't advertise features that you wont even publicly release scripts for or that you wont release at least a damn guide about how to make it! And devs, don't come with the "script is not finished yet" bullshit if there are already scripts with the new features working on some servers!

Greenhound

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:35 am »
amphibious cars and heat seeking missiles are key to the future of jc mp...

not really unless you're making a server called JCMP JAMES BOND RPG

Castillo

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:57 am »
Remember when the last test was over and the first full version was released? There was the same damn situation with the factions script, that is now with the scripts for the features you mentioned, back then the devs said the test server's factions script was not finished yet and still it was already on lotta servers.

What the fuck is going on? Don't tell me this is not greediness if the new features' scripts are not publicly released but they are already on some servers!
Devs, don't advertise features that you wont even publicly release scripts for or that you wont release at least a damn guide about how to make it! And devs, don't come with the "script is not finished yet" bullshit if there are already scripts with the new features working on some servers!

Don't take this wrong, but it's not up to the devs to make your server scripts, they got more important things to do, such as fixing bugs of the mod, adding new features and so on.

Plus, where would be the fun if they gave it all done? you should think how they did it and try to make it yourself.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:04:14 am by Woet »

Soldiershak

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:10 am »
Jason has a point, but I think the devs are doing this to encourage more people to learn to script so that by the time this game gets steam workshop there will be a good number of "workers" who will produce quality scripts that are both fun and stable.

This may also be the reason why they're not concerned about the player count; Steam workshop will draw players in (I hope so).

Compliments to the devs though, they engage with their forum users and are really open-minded when it comes to suggestions.

EDIT: I meant to say Jason and Sonny have points.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:48:33 pm by Soldiershak »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:49 am »
@Castillo & Soldier,
I think you misunderstand our meaning, or mine at least.
I don't need nor want the Devs to write all the scripts for my server. That's not their job, it's mine as the owner. My point is that you can't honestly advertise something as a new feature if it isn't available to the average person. At release, I don't think there were any servers with amphibious vehicles or tracking missiles. If a new player was to log on after reading the announcement they'd be stoked, only to be disappointed server after server when they find none have the new feature. If I was a normal player that would turn me off. "You advertise this but no one has it!"

Another point is this: The Devs obviously have a script for it as they demonstrated it in their promo video. They should at least release a Demo version on release day. This puts the basic commands and flow of functions into the hands of their users - the server owners. A good example of how the system should work is Jman's Hat Demo and my modification of the Buymenu script. Jman released a very basic script showing how to mount and handle hats. I took those concepts, adapted them to Buymenu's design, and then expanded upon it to create an entire Cosmetics system. This could and should be done for every new feature.

Think of it this way: The more players there are, the better JC2-MP looks. Players are only retained by good Servers. Players don't give a lick about code. Most players don't even know what a string is. Players only care about features. If a server doesn't have good features the players go to another server. If no server has good features they leave the game. We often see player counts go up on/the days directly after an update. We then 9/10 times see the numbers again dwindle fairly quickly. Why? Because the features promised to players are not available OR they are only on exclusive servers.

Here's another simple though pertinent fact: Many players are restricted in what servers they can play on due to their ISP or geographical location. Is it really fun to play with a new feature with 500-1k ping? Only for about the first 5 minutes. This is why it is so important that we take great care to build up many great servers. There is a reason many games have regional servers - this is it! Instead of having only a handful of great servers with all the latest bells and whistles we need to have a dozen servers located all over the world that get updated regularly and are allowed to use the new features. Whether this means being more open with new scripts or adding these server owners as betatesters I don't know.

Also, the best way to learn to script is to look at and modify existing scripts. If they want more 'workers' then it would be best to release demo scripts of new features.

Soldiershak

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »
Oh, my mistake I actually meant to say "Jason, has a point". actually you and Sonny both have points. The structure of the multi-quote boxes are confusing.

Anyway, I experienced the disappointment you mentioned. I've only really seen the effects on Jman's server and that's it. I seen effects on a few other servers, but those servers were poorly optimized when I tried them. I thought it was going to be something available to all. The phrase "upcoming feature" gives a false impression, which I don't believe was intentional, but they could use another word or specify if it's more of a scripter thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:48:02 pm by Soldiershak »

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »
Yes this is exactly my issue with this mod aswell. We think we get things, but no.. Soon(tm)  when someone(apparently only a few like jason) is extremly stupid to give it to everyone. Where is the fun then? Everyone wants to play on one server and after months maybe all those dumb owners start to understand the code and try a bit of that stuff aswell. We should just learn from scratch and have the wiki and the extremely helpful IRC channel at our disposal. No demo's or maybe just a few, because some may get the suspicion the devs don't want to help. That would be wrong to think ofcourse..

Was that sarcasm? Hell yeah it was!
I do like the fact they released a few demo's on this last release, but like said before they made the same mistake AGAIN: promising things that will not be there because there are just a few examples to work from and still most of them are missing!

I just don't get it. Why do the devs think we are all that smart? Let's face it: only a few of us are and the devs fail to see that. Why the players leave? Because of this mistake and nothing else! (okay a few other mistakes, but this one is the worst)

oh and soldiershak,did you try the effects on the freeroam fun server aswell? If that one was buggy to you, please tell me so I can try to fix it
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:34:37 pm by misterff1 »

Soldiershak

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:30 pm »
I'll try them out now, and let you know.

UPDATE: I server wasnt buggy, but I didn't see any effects no poof on tp, or gibbs etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:05:11 am by Soldiershak »

Jman100

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:47 am »
Yes this is exactly my issue with this mod aswell. We think we get things, but no.. Soon(tm)  when someone(apparently only a few like jason) is extremly stupid to give it to everyone. Where is the fun then? Everyone wants to play on one server and after months maybe all those dumb owners start to understand the code and try a bit of that stuff aswell. We should just learn from scratch and have the wiki and the extremely helpful IRC channel at our disposal. No demo's or maybe just a few, because some may get the suspicion the devs don't want to help. That would be wrong to think ofcourse..

I do like the fact they released a few demo's on this last release, but like said before they made the same mistake AGAIN: promising things that will not be there because there are just a few examples to work from and still most of them are missing!

I just don't get it. Why do the devs think we are all that smart? Let's face it: only a few of us are and the devs fail to see that. Why the players leave? Because of this mistake and nothing else! (okay a few other mistakes, but this one is the worst)

oh and soldiershak,did you try the effects on the freeroam fun server aswell? If that one was buggy to you, please tell me so I can try to fix it

Where and when were you "promised" a damn thing? The video is there to show you what is POSSIBLE with the new update. It does NOT in ANY WAY imply that the scripts shown would be released.

The fact you feel like you're entitled to get what you want without working hard on it baffles me. I didn't know a lick of lua before Decembers release date, and now look where I am. It took many many many hours of studying the wiki, the scripts that were available, and lots of trial and error to get to the point where I am. AND I'm still learning things every day. So please, do NOT assume things will be spoon fed to you. You have to do the hard work to learn on your own, with the resources you have. Stop complaining about what you don't have and use your energy to actually try and figure it out on your own.

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 07:12:05 am »

Where and when were you "promised" a damn thing? The video is there to show you what is POSSIBLE with the new update. It does NOT in ANY WAY imply that the scripts shown would be released.

The fact you feel like you're entitled to get what you want without working hard on it baffles me. I didn't know a lick of lua before Decembers release date, and now look where I am. It took many many many hours of studying the wiki, the scripts that were available, and lots of trial and error to get to the point where I am. AND I'm still learning things every day. So please, do NOT assume things will be spoon fed to you. You have to do the hard work to learn on your own, with the resources you have. Stop complaining about what you don't have and use your energy to actually try and figure it out on your own.

I know it was showing possibilities. Maybe I should have said that differently. The problem is that people see it as something available at release,so yeah there are alot who do see it as something that was promised. And once you showcase these things and people think it will be there, THEN it should be available at release.

Again,I myself know it was showing possibilities, but you have no idea how many people told me they were disappointed because they did not get what was promised. Yeah, maybe they should be reading more carefully, but on the other hand this was a promo and it got us more people again. Once you notice that you should respond to it and make sure they get what they expect in order to keep them.
Also, I never said I wanted everything ready to use, but I missed the EXAMPLES of most things. I am glad you released a few of them, but things like heat seeking missiled could have been made clear by releasing an example so we could quickly make it for our new players, dont you think? And also I said not everyone is so smart and learn from scratch. You are that smart and that is great, but alot of people, like myself, are not.
Ofcourse I want to learn stuff! But I do need something to work with.

soldiershak, could you pm me please about some details, because I did not hear this issue yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:14:28 am by misterff1 »

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 09:11:12 am »
I only know 1 solution to this, if theres a new version about to be released then SIMPLY announce it ONLY HERE on the forums and thats all, and when its released, then write the changelog and talk about new features there with all infos about whats new in it like its done here http://wiki.jc-mp.com/Changelog#0.1.4_patch_-_2014_March_14  although this site still lacks infos linked about client side stuff
SetSizeAutoRel
SetWidthAutoRel
SetHeightAutoRel
Added BaseWindow functions:
SetWidthRel
SetHeightRel
GetWidthRel
GetHeightRel
Added Button functions:
SetTextNormalColor
SetTextPressedColor
SetTextHoveredColor
SetTextDisabledColor
cuz i think that more scripters are used to read the wiki than players so the playaz wont be disappointed or anything since each server's new features rely on what the owner/scripter adds to it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:12:43 am by SonnySalieri »

JasonMRC

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:52 pm »

*I* am promised nothing with updates.
Players, however, are promised EVERYTHING when an update is released.

It's like buying a new car and one of the features advertised is AC. You think, "Man, that's awesome!" Then once you get in the car and go to turn on the AC you can't find the button. Or the button doesn't do anything. You then go back to the dealership and are like, "What gives man, you said this had AC?" Then the dealership replies, "Yea, it CAN have AC. Your Mechanic has to add it." So you go to your Mechanic and ask them to add it. He says, "I'd love to add AC to your car, but the Manufacturer hasn't given us the blueprints to do so yet. I've just gotta work in the dark until then."

So you're stuck with a car without AC until the Mechanic can figure out how to jury-rig an AC system.

Bottomline: When features are announced players expect servers to have them. If they don't they leave the game. This is part of the reason we see numbers dwindle after releases.

I started scripting in January and didn't know any code either. Yes, it does take many hours, WEEKS worth of hours. I started by studying the available scripts and experimenting with changes to them. I now run 12 scripts built entirely from scratch and 11 that have been nearly entirely rewritten including one complete rewrite which more than doubled the code to over 150k characters. The Majority of my server runs on custom scripts. I am not at all an amateur anymore and am very much willing to get my fingers dirty. I don't need to be spoonfed, I use a fork and knife to cut to the problem. But sometimes I need to be shown how to use chopsticks. I dare say you're in the same boat whenever the Devs create a new feature that they want you to test.
They don't say, "Ok, you can use objects now."
They say, "Hey, we added the ability to do stuff with objects. Here's the new commands and an example of how to use it. See what you can come up with."

Sometimes we(the community at large) get one or two demos, sometimes none.
All I'm asking is that the Devs (and/or BetaTesters) be more consistent with giving examples to the community for advertised features at release.

Box-O-Aces

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:51 pm »
The scriptable "Features" should be called "Capabilities" and a disclaimer that lets the end-user know (something like):  These elements featured in the changelogs or videos will require custom lua scripting and are only showcasing possibilities of their uses.

Hopefully things get documented as they get updated and sorted.  Kind of like Quake modding days, there would be helpful tutorials that can be adapted to do all kinds of things with some creativity.  However, if it does not come with the download, it shouldn't be mentioned as a feature.  If it requires a script, some kind of base or tutorial for others to learn and work off would be nice (Wiki).

Awesome so far, can't wait to see what is in store for the next update!