Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

2 years ago

Advertisement
October 15, 2019, 08:07:15 am

Author Topic: Shut down all Servers except one or this mod will die out.  (Read 5293 times)

LordNoob

• View Profile
Re: Shut down all Servers except one or this mod will die out.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:24 pm »
It depends what you think is 'fun'. I didn't enjoy the incredibly annoying and perpetual arguments about Alienware and FPS.

There's plenty of fun to be had in the existing servers, and shutting down all the other servers will have the opposite effect to what you think it will; because people will quit when they aren't allowed to host their own servers and script, and are therefore confined to freeroam, which (surprise, surprise) isn't a gamemode that is universally enjoyed. The mod will die out if there's only one server, not the opposite.

WPK-Wolfseye

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
I dont care how many players this Game has. I havent played it in a while, concentrating on other things. But now I enjoy playing and hosting it again for a few of my friends. We like to have our private little chaos once in a while.

We dont care if there is 1000s of players, although the Game would deserve it. We only play with a few and we want to keep it that way. Playing on one Server only would not let us have in peace our fun, without getting shot at every damn second we're on it. Some like that, and I appreciate that, but some dont and those enjoy being able to host their own Servers. Fewer and fewer games allow that these days anyways. The times of games coming out where you can host yourself, without the need to rent or pay for Serverhosting, is almost down to zero.

People should appreciate the fact that they can host this Game. Why force people to all play together ? Forcing people to be all on one Server is against what I call is fun.

This Game never got the attention that it deserved, thats a shame. But even with the few people left playing it, why would you take that away with such an stupid idea like the one from the first post here ?

1Blazing1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 05:58:18 pm »
It depends what you think is 'fun'. I didn't enjoy the incredibly annoying and perpetual arguments about Alienware and FPS.

There's plenty of fun to be had in the existing servers, and shutting down all the other servers will have the opposite effect to what you think it will; because people will quit when they aren't allowed to host their own servers and script, and are therefore confined to freeroam, which (surprise, surprise) isn't a gamemode that is universally enjoyed. The mod will die out if there's only one server, not the opposite.
this is what i think of what is 'fun' http://prntscr.com/5nmuii <---- that screenshot. being that many people on a derby was fun... being 3 people on a derby is not fun. ok? and im pretty sure ALOT of people would come back if it just was one server again.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:00:39 pm by 1Blazing1 »

LordNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 10:20:14 pm »
Clearly we have different ideas of fun, then. I like sniping off of the rooftops in Survival District. I like relaxing and roleplaying with fellow faction members. I like how the ability to host and script your own server gives an absolutely huge scope, and that there's always a new idea.

I don't like watching a boat explode midair and speed across the surface. Because I've seen that so many times already.

There's nothing stopping that from happening now. Judging by the chat, that's about a 100-player derby. At peak times, the N^3 server has double that. If you pool together an effort, I'm sure you can do that again.

The problem with freeroam is that it gives you a vast ocean with the depth of a puddle. You can do everything possible within the space of two hours. For the long-term survival of this mod, something which you seem interested in preserving, based on the previous replies in this thread, gamemodes are needed that have more to do than boost across roads with broken boats.

1Blazing1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »
Clearly we have different ideas of fun
atleast like 100 other people didnt have that taste of ''fun'' as you saw on my screenshot.

RockyTV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »
If this mod was going to die out, the player count would decrease gradually. I started playing it on the beginning of 2014, and look at it now.

There's still many active players.

LordNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 04:27:52 pm »
atleast like 100 other people didnt have that taste of ''fun'' as you saw on my screenshot.

Yes, but now you claim only three people are in a derby at one time, so perhaps the opinion has shifted.

SubZer0

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »
the difference between now and beta was that you couldn't access the mp besides the "testing events".

I say we scedule a monthly event on a random server and have some fun. In the end, that's what this mod is about. Fun. So stop talking about what gamemode is better, but go out and play what you like.

Soldiershak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »
Shut Arkham City Down

1Blazing1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 03:19:19 pm »

Yes, but now you claim only three people are in a derby at one time, so perhaps the opinion has shifted.
well yeah maybe thats because all the people that liked it more when there were many people playing left and now theres not so many people intreseted in going on to the derby.

LordNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 04:20:52 pm »
I'm tired of this. All you do is talk about things that happened for other reasons than split amounts of servers and attribute it to people being able to choose how to play the game.

The reason that there aren't as many people within the community now is because there aren't tests any more, and people can play when they want.

The difference caused by this is mainly because people see that there's a test, and decide to play because they won't get another opportunity to play, given that the mod wasn't up 24/7 back then. Now, they can, so they may decide not to play because playtime isn't as exclusive as it used to be. What I mean by this is that when you see an upcoming beta test, you consider that this could be your only opportunity to play the game for some time, so you think that you 'may as well hop on'.

Then, the mod opened for business and people were interested. For the first few days, I'm sure that it was very busy (I got the mod on the Christmas of 2013, so I wasn't quite part of that influx). Then, as you say, people opened their own servers and moved there, and so the resulting relatively low populations on key servers caused people to leave, because the game wasn't as fun.

The key fault in this argument lies in why people decided to branch out, and it also provides you the answer as to why many left in the first few days before highlighted servers.
You must consider that people didn't stop playing on mainstream servers and start their own because they wanted to ruin the mod. They (and this is a shocker) didn't like the endless freeroam anymore because it got repetitive (there are only about six or seven scripts on most freeroam servers).

Not only is there any evidence that people left because of custom servers, the mod is nowhere near dead. If you consider most indie video game releases (which this effectively is; as there was no advertising) with multiplayer, this mod is extremely active in comparison.

I fail to see any need to say 'fuck you, you'll play what we want you to play' to anyone who doesn't like freeroam by leaving only a single server open, nor would I support doing that if the mod really was 'dead'.