Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

3 months ago

August 21, 2017, 09:45:39 pm

Author Topic: Fallen Civilization (Survival)  (Read 14743 times)

Trap

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Civilization (Survival)
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 08:06:04 am »
Fallen Civilization is back after a 2 day maintenance!

Well, the last few days have certainly been a brutal learning experience in the etiquette of database management.

Over the past 3 weeks, we've been dealing with a corrupt database that has been causing crashes several times per week.
We ignored it at first, initially not knowing there was any issue with the database.
As things have intensified over the last week, I've done some research and have been able to recover the database to a working non-corrupt state.

Unfortunately, this recovery process has caused us to lose 18% of the database.
While that percentage may sound staggering, keep in mind that the vast majority of our data is from the thousands of people who have joined, left five minutes later, then never came back.
I've requested for the Mods to inspect known player builds and ask players if they are missing things.

Initial reports are showing that very little has been lost to the database issue, which is good news.

Due to the inconvenience caused by this issue (which will never happen again), we've decided to host a special double exp/loot/credit event which will last several days in the very near future.
You can expect higher drop rates for rare items, more player and pet exp, more credits, and other helpful tweaks.
More on this event will be revealed later.

Thanks for bearing with us through this issue, and once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Good compensation , unlike in SD where the server crashes . and you lose most if not all your stuff and you don't get your stuff back or any compensation

+1 Great Staff

Igni

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »
i loss my lvl and items 2 times.. i see post about issues, but is not a seriously
how i can restore my and friend lvl and items??

Reaganator

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 04:36:24 am »
Fallen Civilization is back after a 2 day maintenance!

Well, the last few days have certainly been a brutal learning experience in the etiquette of database management.

Over the past 3 weeks, we've been dealing with a corrupt database that has been causing crashes several times per week.
We ignored it at first, initially not knowing there was any issue with the database.
As things have intensified over the last week, I've done some research and have been able to recover the database to a working non-corrupt state.

Unfortunately, this recovery process has caused us to lose 18% of the database.
While that percentage may sound staggering, keep in mind that the vast majority of our data is from the thousands of people who have joined, left five minutes later, then never came back.
I've requested for the Mods to inspect known player builds and ask players if they are missing things.

Initial reports are showing that very little has been lost to the database issue, which is good news.

Due to the inconvenience caused by this issue (which will never happen again), we've decided to host a special double exp/loot/credit event which will last several days in the very near future.
You can expect higher drop rates for rare items, more player and pet exp, more credits, and other helpful tweaks.
More on this event will be revealed later.

Thanks for bearing with us through this issue, and once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Good compensation , unlike in SD where the server crashes . and you lose most if not all your stuff and you don't get your stuff back or any compensation

+1 Great Staff
I second Trap's notion, Awesome Staff! keep up the good work and Thank You for your time and efforts!

Frakker78

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2016, 01:02:19 am »
Everyone's favorite MOD, StuffJunky here.  First, thank you.  Admins work hard on bugs, new items, and new very cool features.  I work on adding new loot, fixing bugged loot, and some other loot issues, along with vehicle placements.  By the way, all cursed areas will NO longer have vehicles except PIA, which I moved the planes to under the tunnels.
I do agree that the compensation is very awesome.  I have asked many players that had lost items to let me know, and I have replaced plenty... there are some things I cannot replace though.
If you are a player and need items replaced, let me know in the server so I can do my best to replace what you lost.
I also keep the 3 storage bins in the desert spawns full of parachutes, grapplehooks, and backpacks /pocketed vests for players that need them or lose them at death.

And again, yes, Fallen Civilization has an awesome staff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:05:37 am by Frakker78 »

Trap

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2016, 06:27:06 pm »
Everyone's favorite MOD, StuffJunky here.  First, thank you.  Admins work hard on bugs, new items, and new very cool features.  I work on adding new loot, fixing bugged loot, and some other loot issues, along with vehicle placements.  By the way, all cursed areas will NO longer have vehicles except PIA, which I moved the planes to under the tunnels.
I do agree that the compensation is very awesome.  I have asked many players that had lost items to let me know, and I have replaced plenty... there are some things I cannot replace though.
If you are a player and need items replaced, let me know in the server so I can do my best to replace what you lost.
I also keep the 3 storage bins in the desert spawns full of parachutes, grapplehooks, and backpacks /pocketed vests for players that need them or lose them at death.

And again, yes, Fallen Civilization has an awesome staff.

"Everyone's favorite MOD" these words dough lol

Frakker78

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:43 am »
StuffJunky here.  This is the new release of items and update:
Underwater Update is here.  You will need to craft: Fins, Headlamp, Sonar, and Air Generator to enjoy the new items.  Search for underwater ruins (no loot yet) and water mines.  More to come.  This is from the FC wikia: http://fallen-civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Changelog 

Epies

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2016, 03:24:39 am »
-
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:29:51 pm by Epies »

FuckTheSystem

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2016, 02:14:50 pm »
Welcome back  ;)

Reaganator

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:05 pm »
Dev_34, rumor has it that the Fallen Civilization server may be getting shut down soon. If this is indeed true, I for one, will be sad to see it go. I enjoy the server and the staff has been great. A little forewarning if so would be nice before we invest much more time & effort into play on FC though.

Thanks!

Dev_34

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:23 pm »
Dev_34, rumor has it that the Fallen Civilization server may be getting shut down soon. If this is indeed true, I for one, will be sad to see it go. I enjoy the server and the staff has been great. A little forewarning if so would be nice before we invest much more time & effort into play on FC though.

Thanks!

Well, I was hoping this would be kept on a need-to-know basis for now while I sorted out some other things, but it seems that's no longer possible. No worries.

You're right, our team has come to a collective decision to stop working on Fallen Civilization.
We're going to shut down in approximately 13 days.
This comes from a variety of factors.

As many know, we've poured our time and effort into FC for over eight months, starting on July 15, 2015.
Back then, things were a lot different for both me and Lord_Farquaad, who started the project together on that fateful day.
To start off with, we both sucked at coding; we both had minimal coding experience (I had some beginner's Visual Basic and C++, but nothing in-depth) and Lord_Farquaad was around the same skill level as me.
Yet even with our below-mediocre skills, I was eager to dive into the project.

This, it turns out, was a recipe for disaster.
As we both learned better coding style both inside and outside of jc-mp, mainly coding in a way that supported extendability(which is vital for any major project), we came to realize that the fundamental basis on which we coded our server was built on a constant learning experience with the concept of extendability.
To give an example, the most important module in our server, the "loot/survival" module, has been refactored so frequently and so dramatically over the last eight months that it becomes mind-numbing.

I came to realize that this was inevitable.
My skills were growing at a rate so fast that in order to keep up with my vision for the future of the project, I constantly needed to go back and either fix stupid bugs or just refactor things so they could support upcoming content.

This is one of the reasons why we've decided to close the project.
We've created a monster with an endless amount of bugs that no amount of time allotted to any one of the admins will ever truly fix without an insane amount of refactoring.
Personally, I think I've spent over a hundred hours of my life refactoring the loot module, and at this time I'm in the middle of the biggest refactoring yet, which is becoming clear to me that it simply will not get done.

Which brings us to the second reason why we've stopped development.
Our team has essentially pro-created and produced an offspring that constantly needs our affection, time, and hard-work.
When we started this project, we had a lot of time on our hands and few obligations and responsibilities to attend to.

It's a lot different now.
I know Misterff1 has been really busy working irl, and I'm totally supportive of that decision.
Frankly, it's stupid to dedicate time to something like a jc-mp server when there are so many more important tasks in life.
LF and I have also seen a serious reduction in our free-time.

But we're also moving on because as young developers, we can no longer afford to spend a serious amount of time in this environment.

While I applaud the jc2-mp developers endlessly for their work, honestly, what they've created is pretty amazing, I've grown to the point where my curiosity can no longer be limited by what jc-mp offers.

With the time that LF and I do have to work on side-projects, we're looking at more serious alternatives like actual game-developing.
We've both started down this road and are both working on our own respective projects with the Unity engine, where there is so much to learn and almost no way in which we can limited from realizing what we want to see in a game.
This is opposed to the many hours we've both spent looking through the modelviewer hoping to find something that lets us make something cool in jc-mp.

None the less, we had a good run in jc-mp with Fallen Civilization.
I think we've created the framework for something pretty unique, and I certainly think it could be improved.

For this reason, we're releasing all of Fallen Civilization's scripts to the public.

It's never really been about creating something for myself, I've always found it more personally rewarding to bring joy to other people through what I can create.
I don't actually think I've ever been capable of playing in my own server, the guilt that I'm not providing the best possible experience always pushes me back to the drawing board and Notepad++.

While I'm technically the owner since I exclusively pay for the server's hosting, this has never been the way our server has been run.
From Alpha members who helped conceive the very idea of the server, to the Mods who have spent hundreds of hours placing tens of thousands of things around Panau for players, to the Admin team whose broad range of talents provided the means to bring it all to life, the server is ultimately a collective effort that I don't think one person could ever claim to own, regardless of how this concept is practically non-existent in the world.

So I think it's only a natural decision to let other coders salvage through what we've created in the hopes that maybe it can improve the content they provide for the community.

With this being said, the current plan is to release something we've dubbed the 'FC Script Pack', which would be a working version of all our server's scripts.

This also means that if someone were audacious enough to run a clone of Fallen Civilization, or under whatever name they want to call it, we would be totally okay with that.

So while you might think that this is the end of our work in jc-mp, you might be wrong.
It's up to whoever feels like it to expand our work or just apply apply our code in other ways.

I can't speak for our whole team when I say this, but, I do plan to continue recreationally coding in jc-mp whenever I feel like it.

See you around,

- The Fallen Civilization Team

SinisterRectus

• JC2-MP Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:55 pm »
Booo...

Keeping a server running is as lot of work. I've been saying for a year that I want to get a server running, but it never happens. And now, like you, life and other interests are causing me to slow down my JCMP work. So don't feel too bad. Just take comfort in the fact that you've contributed something great to JCMP, especially if you decided to release everything.

Darwood37

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2016, 11:08:05 pm »
So sorry to hear this Dev. I know you and LF have put lots of time in to your server and came up with a unique experience. I too have been in the same situation, i never played another game since the release of JC2MP until recently when i played DCS World and EuroTruck sim 2 which really opened my eyes and Since Dual booting Windows 10 i am now playing JC3, GTAV etc. For almost two years i was stuck in JC2MP mode. I am not complaining the Dev's have done a terrific job and i have met a lot of people and learnt a thing or too as well. Considering the fact i am almost 50 and have a full time career i think i spend too much time running Gaveroids JCMP Server. No plans to close it down any time soon though  :D

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Reaganator

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 01:54:12 am »
I would love to get my hands on the scripts, it would give me a good reason to delve more deeply down the coding wormhole and maybe bring it back on my own hardware.
 I am sad to see it go, but I would love the challenge of making it live again. Thank you for all of your hard work, good luck with your future endeavors!

misterff1

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 04:24:57 pm »
This came as a surprise for me as well, but I fully agree on the choice that's been made here. Once you lose willpower, the strength of the server gets lost.

I am very proud of the result that we, but mainy dev and lf, managed to create and as mentioned by dev, perhaps someone might take it over and continue where we left off.

Anyway, I will be off and on for jcmp and might still make some scripts from time to time. If anyone needs a design overhaul for a script for example, don't hesitate to ask.

It's been a cool ride gents, thanks to everyone involved!

FuckTheSystem

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 04:42:09 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :-[