Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

The world of Panau is being remastered! Cooperative gameplay coming to JC2-MP https://t.co/Yp4qGMERXn https://t.co/ZnnA2rPGaL

3 weeks ago

May 25, 2017, 04:20:53 pm

Author Topic: [WIP] Panau Online  (Read 1532 times)

jaxm

• Developer
    • View Profile
[WIP] Panau Online
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:23:31 am »
Panau Online

Feature List
Instanced Co-op Missions
Gameplay Tutorial
Boss Battles
Instanced Player vs Player gamemodes
Party System
Scripted AI enemies
Extended Gameplay Mechanics
Scaling Systems
Inventory and Loot system
Merchants
Custom Combat System
Extensive GUI Elements
World Aesthetics

What is this!?!?!
Since the early days of JC-MP I’ve always wanted a cooperative multiplayer experience for Just Cause 2. With the latest API changes available in JC-MP 0.2.4 and some incredibly extensive work and collaboration with other members on the JC-MP team, cooperative gameplay is now available. (pending the release of JC-MP 0.2.4 :P)

This project builds on the sandbox experience, allowing players to go head to head in instanced PvP matches or group up and take on Ai enemies in instanced PvE missions. Furthermore this project aims to bring back that which was removed! Dynamic Pedestrian / Vehicle traffic has returned and no longer causes our server to meltdown, which is always a plus.  8)

Instanced Co-op Missions
Currently there are two missions, the first serves as an introductory mission, allowing the player to familiarize themselves with the new gameplay in Panau Online. In this mission players are asked to intervene a hostile situation in which the Panau Military are destroying a farmer's crops over suspected involvement with the Ular Boys.

The second mission continues on where the first mission left off, the players are tasked with seeking revenge over the attack, by taking out the General of the nearby base. The level of gameplay provided in this mission is the bar I’ve set for future missions. It features simple main objective gameplay that’s complemented by bonus objectives which the players decide on how they approach the mission.

Recruit Ular boys to gain access to an Ular Gunship to help clear out the enemies in the base / take on the General.

Hack into the SAMSite used to defend the base. Turning the SAMSite’s targeting system on the General.

Gameplay Tutorial
The first time a player connects to Panau Online, they’ll load into an instanced tutorial mission. This features simple objectives and on screen prompts that explain the core gameplay revolving around the inventory and loot system. This allows the player to learn as they go at their own pace through the mission. 

Boss Battles
Bosses at first glance look like normal enemies, however when they’re engaged they will often make use of special abilities. The General in the mission ‘Dogs out for Hanzu…’ for example will fire a volley of scatter missiles every 30 seconds. Being hit by one of these missiles will deal heavy damage and send you flying, costing you valuable time.

Instanced Player vs Player gamemodes (PvP)
King of the Hill
The objective of this PvP gamemode is to be at a higher altitude than everyone else. While standing at the highest point, you start gaining points. If another player is at the same height as you, neither of you will gain points. First player to the score cap or the player with the highest score when the game time expires, wins.

Standing Statue
The objective of this team based PvP gamemode is to rebuild your teams statue before the other team rebuilds theirs. Both teams start with just the statue base, the other parts are spread out randomly throughout the area. Collect the statue pieces and bring them to your teams statue to rebuild it. You can only carry a single statue piece at a time and being killed while carrying the statue piece drops it. You can attack the enemy teams statue to break pieces off and steal them!

Instanced PvP vs World PvP
Instanced PvP, or Gamemode PvP forces all players to the same level and scales all their stats to create a balanced experienced. This forced balance allows players of all levels to take part in PvP gamemodes without needing to be the same level as their friends. The system is designed so that every aspect of the weapon system can be tweaked until the best possible PvP experience has be attained.

World PvP unlocks at level 10+. Any players lower than level 10 can’t hurt or be hurt by other players. Once level 10, anything goes. The only other protection system is protected areas, usually around merchants.

Party System
You can invite players to form a ‘party’ or ‘group’ by pressing ‘O’. From here you can form your group before heading into a mission or PvP match together. Once in a group together a new GUI element will be revealed at the top of your screen showing your party members health. If you want to remove a party member, you can enter mouse mode ( default ‘V’ ) and right click on their bar, giving you the option to remove them from the group.
While in a group together, you cannot hurt one another with friendly fire. You are also able to revive party members that have ‘died’. Taking damage during the revive process will interrupt it.

Scripted Ai Enemies
Jet Pilot AI takes off and begins doing strafing runs against the player.

I’ve custom created my own logic for the AI in this project. This has been both an exciting and challenging process as the last time I wrote AI they were much simpler. The AI makes use of Just Cause 2’s PathEngine for navigation, everything else is custom created for multiplayer.
Reactions
  • React to the players gunshots.
  • React to ‘seeing’ the player.
  • React to being shot at.
  • React to nearby friendlies being shot at.
  • React to having their vehicle stolen.
  • React to dead NPC bodies.
  • In the case of Civilians, they’ll react to nearby ‘scared’ civilians.

Threat Table
AI enemies have a threat table as their active target selection process. They will pursue whichever enemy has the highest threat. Dealing damage to an enemy will generate threat on that enemy and surrounding enemies. In some cases, interacting with objectives will also generate threat.

Line of Sight
When engaged, an AI soldiers main goal is to maintain Line of Sight, in most cases when engaging multiple enemies, they will often try to out-flank the player. Not all AI enemies are fighters, some will actively try to hide or run away from the player when engaged. This is usually tied to a Radio Call mechanic in which if the player doesn’t take out the soldier in time, enemy reinforcements will be sent to the area.

Scripted Gameplay Objects
A system built around highly interactable objects and maintaining a sync’d state between players has allowed storytelling to be pushed further, allowing the creation of a richer diverse gameplay experience.

Extended Gameplay Mechanics
Death System
A custom death system has been implemented which allowed me to take more control over how the game behaves. Furthermore it allows for the Party revive system.

Scaling Systems
Missions
When launching a mission, the party leader has the option of selecting the difficulty to launch the mission on. The difficulties are as follows: Easy -> Normal -> Hard -> Insane
The difficulties Easy / Normal / Hard are scaled to a predetermined level, depending on the mission. For example, the mission ‘Dogs out for Hanzu…’. The enemies are scaled to the following levels: Easy: 5, Normal: 6, Hard: 7, Insane: 10 Minimum

Insane difficulty is scaled to the group average level + 2, each mission also has a set minimum level that it can be scaled to.

The difficulty selected also affects different aspects of the missions, depending on the mechanics at play in each mission. For example, if the mission features a boss, on Easy difficulty it might take 10 seconds to reload a special attack, while on Insane it might only be 5 seconds.

Furthermore the quality of loot that drops changes depending on the difficulty. As you move from Easy to Normal to Hard, you increase the chance that an item will drop as a higher grade. For example, On Easy you might have a 3% chance that an item will drop as an Epic grade, however on Hard it might be a 9% chance of having an item drop as Epic grade. Insane difficulty is the only difficulty where standard enemies have a chance to drop Legendary grade items.

Enemies
Enemies scale to the level of the mission they’re spawned into. This scaling effects many combat factors such as their health, armor, damage and accuracy along with rewards for killing these enemies, such as experience points granted.

Loot
When an item drops it is scaled based on the enemy that dropped it. The exception to this is personal loot from the end of missions / bosses where it’s scaled to the level of the player the item has been assigned to drop for.

Inventory and Loot Systems

Items
Weapons are now tied to inventory items. This has allowed me to extend the replayability of the game by adding essentially endless variations to the weapon stats, creating the potential for better weapons / armor to drop every time you kill an enemy.
Item power is colour graded. Like many RPG / MMO’s of today, I’ve used a relatively well known colour system to guide the player in finding powerful upgrades to their armor / weapons. The system is as follows from weakest to best -> Common(white), Uncommon(green), Rare(blue), Epic(purple), Legendary(orange)

Loot
  • Killing an enemy / completing a mission / winning a PvP match all reward items that have the potential to make your character stronger.
  • Armor pieces have stats like Health, Armor and Health Regeneration. Health provides a bigger health pool so you can take more damage, Armor provides damage reduction so that you take less damage from each attack and Health Regeneration increases the speed at which you self heal.
  • Weapons have stats like Weapon Damage and Crit-Chance (critical strike chance). Weapon Damage is the actual damage you will deal per bullet fired at an enemy. Crit-Chance is the chance that your attack will roll a crit, and deal double damage.

Loot System
  • Killing most enemies rewards loot. The items are dropped at the position of the enemy on death. The items will persist for a few minutes before eventually decaying and being removed by the server.
  • The system supports Personal Loot. Objectives and boss type enemies will reward Personal Loot for each player present, allowing everyone to get something.
  • Some missions don’t have a boss at the end, therefore the end of mission loot is naturally delivered by a meteor … a Looteor if you will.

Merchants
Buy / Sell / Buyback System
Trading with merchants is made super easy, once the merchant window is open, simply right clicking on an item from your inventory will sell the item ( if the item can be sold ). Right clicking on an item in the merchant window will buy the item ( if you have enough cash ). If you mistakenly sell the wrong item, you can repurchase it from the second tab in the window called ‘Buyback’. The last 12 items sold are stored for repurchase until 3 minutes after you disconnect.

Items for sale
The items for sale by merchants are predefined on a merchant by merchant basis. However the items themselves like all items in this gamemode have random stats. These stats will re-roll every 30 minutes.

Custom Combat System
Each weapon type has been rebalanced. Some have ‘baked in’ mechanics to make them feel more unique or to ‘spice’ up their gameplay a little.

Sniper Rifle
Headshots always critically strike.
Critical strikes deal 400% damage
Revolver
Critical strikes deal 400% damage
Shotgun
Deals 200% damage at close range.

Extensive GUI Elements
Dynamic Mission Tracker
Helps keep track of current mission / pvp objectives in a clean customizable tracking window.
Inventory / Actionbar
Fully interactable drag and drop system for moving items from one inventory to another along with dropping items on the ground to trade with other players. The Actionbar acts as the players readily accessible inventory, by pressing buttons 1-0 or scrolling the mousewheel, the player can quickly switch between weapons or activate items, such as Medkits for healing. The player can quickly equip items to their actionbar or equipped inventory by holding shift and left clicking an item.
Item Tooltips
While browsing your inventory, simply move the mouse over an item to get information about the item. If the item is a piece of armor or weapon, you can hold shift while hovering over the item to compare it to a currently equipped item of the same type. This will also give you a breakdown of stat gains / losses between the two items, allowing you to quickly see which item is better.

World Aesthetics
In the interest in breathing a little fresh life into the world of Just Cause 2 itself I wrote a simple system to render my own billboards inside the game.

Thanks to
The item / icon artwork used within this project is created by the lovely people over at game-icons.net

Special thanks to Philpax and Trix for their willingness to subject themselves to my craziness while I bounced ideas off of them for all manner of problems I faced while working through this project.

An extra special thanks to Sinister Rectus, during early development of this project the PathEngine API wasn’t available to me. Sinister Rectus had been working on a pathing server allowing me to offload pathing onto a separate process freeing up resources on the server. Initially my AI used this as a means to navigate the world.

Testers
Thanks to several community members for early testing on the mission and underlying AI system. Dev_34, Lord Farquaad and Sinister Rectus.

Looking to the future
With enough interest from the community I’d like to continue working on this project adding more features and gameplay. Adding more missions is a high priority, currently I have another mission under development and many more planned. I’d like to eventually bring in a talent system like the one I made for Invasion, adding more diversity and ways to vary gameplay.

WIP Experimental Features
The following is a few experimental incomplete features that may or may not eventually find their way into this project.

Destroyer
Originally I was working on a remake of Battle of Panau, this ship was created along the way.
 With a few code updates it could be included in a future mission.

Flying MHC Transport
If you've played JC2 or JC2-MP you know that the Mile High Club is a static map object. I always thought it would be cool if the MHC would fly around Panau. So when I was learning about making my own navigation systems for AI, that's exactly what I made. Never did work out a way to incorporate it into a gamemode. However it could fit into a mission or two for Panau Online.

jaxm

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Panau Online
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:23:48 am »
dibs

Dev_34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:35:16 am »
The king returns  ;D

Trap

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:11:15 am »
Might want to re-download jc2 after a very long break! much skill , much wow, much trying to try it out.

Jessrabbit

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:10:51 pm »
This looks really interesting.

How long have you spent working on all of this?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:20:05 pm by Jessrabbit »

SinisterRectus

• JC2-MP Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »
The scale of this project is mind blowing. Clearly, a huge amount of work has been put into it. As always, great work from Jaxm and the rest.

A cooperative JC2MP is something that I've always wanted to experience, and I'm sure others would want to as well. Hopefully, we can get some old players back in here to try this out in the future. :D

Sebihunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:00:12 am »
This is just insane... In a good way.

Awesome job. Can't wait to check it out!

jaxm

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:12:13 am »
The king returns  ;D
  :o

How long have you spent working on all of this?
Better part of half a year? It builds on top of a lot of systems that I've made for different gamemodes over the years. Hard to say really.  :)

This is just insane... In a good way.

Awesome job. Can't wait to check it out!
Thanks  ;)

Lord_Farquaad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 12:53:40 am »
I've been wondering when this would make an appearance.

Awesome and really inspirational stuff all around! Really makes me want to get up and go make something cool too. :)

Darwood37

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 11:01:05 am »
I was wondering when you were releasing this, seeing as i stumbled across the sever many months ago, when all the devs were testing it out, in the early stages i believe.

However, looks like you put a lot of work in to this and i look forward to playing. A lot of the things i wanted to do have been incorporated but through lack of time, knowledge and api i never got around to it.

I was first to have the billboards though :)

Looks amazing.

Jman100

• JC2-MP Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:27:43 pm »
Good grief. You are an absolute beast. Amazing work!

dab88

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:32:05 pm »
:O Holy Grappling Hook!

crescentfresh

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:23 pm »
....moving.....mile high club??  :o :o  ???

MOVING MILE HIGH CLUB  ???

MOVING MILE HIGH CLUB!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is so fucking exciting! What an awesome team to still be working on things like this for
the community. Thank you so much, THIS IS .. WOW!!