Currently the developers are putting their own money into JC2-MP to keep the servers online.

Please take a few seconds of your time and disable your AdBlock plugin for our website.

Ad revenue is not going to developers, it is used purely for covering our hosting costs.

You are also free to donate, which removes all ads from our website!

Patch 0.3 was just released! Full changelog here: https://t.co/4A50m6IKen

3 years ago

Advertisement
April 07, 2020, 11:14:17 am

Author Topic: Put your finished scripts on github!  (Read 8842 times)

awestroke

• Donator
    • View Profile
Put your finished scripts on github!
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:03:38 pm »
Please put your finished scripts on Github instead of attaching zip files to your posts. Then add a link to the Github page of the script to your forum post.

Advantages of this:

* People who use the script can easily install it (git clone instead of downloading and extracting an archive)
* People who use the script can easily update it (git pull instead of finding and re-downloading it)
* People WILL contribute to your code, fixing bugs for you.

If you don't know git, I recommend reading up on it and learning it (Here's a good starting point)

Your repository should be inside your script folder, so that the server/ and client/ directories are direct children of the repository. If you do this, then people can clone your repository directly into the scripts/ folder, without moving anything around (as git clone https://github.com/<..>/<repo_name> will be downloaded into a directory named <repo_name>/ ). So, go to scripts/your_terrific_script/ and git init there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:42:12 am by awestroke »

Eggster

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: Put your finished scripts on github!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
I agree!

SonnySalieri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:38 am »
This might also go to the devs too cuz i dont see all the scripts here what the test server had and i didnt see all test server scripts on github neither.

Rojikku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:36:56 pm »
This might also go to the devs too cuz i dont see all the scripts here what the test server had and i didnt see all test server scripts on github neither.

Everything but factions is there.

I have boost, bank, buyback. My server is basically the same as the testing sever, to my knowledge. But that was my first betatest, so I was unaware I could  hit F5 and learn way more.

Eraknelo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »
I have never worked with GIT myself. I just tried it out. Is there any way to make it download other people's scripts on Giyhub directly to your scripts folder? That is, without the readme files as well, cause they'll just conflict.

And this should be pinned in releases!

TurtleP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 03:18:38 am »
I have never worked with GIT myself. I just tried it out. Is there any way to make it download other people's scripts on Giyhub directly to your scripts folder? That is, without the readme files as well, cause they'll just conflict.

Not sure if it's possible, but if JC2-MP could get Steam Workshop support, then sharing scripts could be a LOT easier. I just finished my first script, gonna Git it, and share it.

Eraknelo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:34:56 am »
I just put all my scripts on Github, and will be using it from now on. Probably won't if steam workshop support.

But, the server is essentially a Steam tool... Do those even support workshop content?

awestroke

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:30:19 am »

If you run git clone in your scripts/ directory, the code will be downloaded into <repository name>/, so there's no conflict. This requires the script repository to be structured like the default script repositories, with the server/ and client/ directories at the root of the repository. I've updated the main post to reflect this.

Eraknelo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »
And I have just moved all of my repositories to reflect this ^^